My mom's Vats surgery scheduled

Joy Marie

I didn't get a port and made it through without one. However, there are the infusions and frequent blood tests that toward the end of treatment, I wondered if my veins would hold up. A port sounds like a good idea.

Hi, Laurel.  Mom's doc decided on a PICC line instead of a port.    I have a couple questions about side effect drugs for nausea.  Doc says he wants to put her on Compazine for nausea.  I'm reading about that and it's a drug also used for schizophrenia.  Is there a better anti nausea drug she could use?  Also, has anyone used Neulasta shots after chemo?  I'm reading scary stuff about terrible bone pain after using it.  Also read one shot of Neulasta is about $6000.  Opinions and experiences appreciated!     Joy

Hi Joy. I had Zofran for nausea. After I had neutropenia (neutrophils went to zero, for future rounds of chemo I had Neupogen after the infusionsss. Neulasta is a long acting shot. Neupogen is th same drug but it's not long lasting so it's a series of shots that I gave to myself at home. I think it might be a little less expensive, but it still isn't cheap. I didn' have any bone pain or other side effects from the Neupogen. I know others who have had with both Neulasta and Neupogen.

Joy, I was prescribed two drugs for nausea. I read about both and I was uncomfortable with one so didn't ever use it. I don't remember it's name. I did like Ondansetron 8 mg. You take it as soon as you have a twinge of nausea....for me it was 2 to 3 days after infusion.  After each infusion, there were more days of nausea for me. Ginger helped....sipping gingerale, eating ginger cookies and sucking on Prince of Peace Ginger Chews(I ordered from Amazon.com). I also munched on saltine crackers. A surprise was fruit punch (red) gatorade...a couple sips would help. It was recommended I take extra folic acid for my hair.  It's good to keep hydrated...push that poison out...drinking water. Hugs.

Thanks, Bridget and Laurel.  My brother and I are going with mom for her Chemo Education class on Monday.  Your input very helpful!   So much to learn.  I'll probably have more questions through the weekend.  Thanks again.    Joy

Wow...a chemo education class?!!!  I was called the day before...told to come in for chemo the next day. Things were explained as they prepared and did the chemo.

Ya know that's actually such a good idea to hold a chemo class! So many people have so many questions....that's awesome they do that!

Archived