Chest pain from radiation?

Rita2018

Hi,

I finished my radiation and chem treatment back in early July. Last weekend I noticed that the area where the beam would have been directed on my chest hurt like I had been hit hard there. I have no bruise and have not had any incidents where I could have been hit in that area.  I’m waiting to hear back from my doctor’s nurse but wondered if this has happened to others or if it was normal?

Thank you

Rita

Have not had regular radiation to my chest, but did have SBRT. Noticed shortly after that those areas were tender and felt like a bruise if pressed on. Noticed because my Oncologist was checking my for breast tumors(my cancer before the lung cancer) and those small areas were VERY tender to the touch. 

Judy M

Have/had SCLC and chemo radiation concurrent treatment . I finished this radiation in  roughly January . I have periodic pain in the area of the radiation field in my chest. Based on my notes that has become significantly less frequent . So on and off for me for about six months following last treatments. The only thing I would add is report any and all  symptoms to your oncologist ..I track and do that..most times it’s nothing but on occasion it’s resulted in a followup with oncology just to make sure all is good. I’m currently NED .with next round of surveillance testing end of October 

Rita,

Welcome here.

I had 30 treatments of conventional radiation given M-F over 6 weeks.  After treatment, I no pain.  Moreover, my reading about conventional radiation suggests it is pain free both during the procedure and after (excepting sunburn-like skin burns).  So I'd report your symptoms to your radiation oncologist.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi,

Thank you everyone for information of your own experiences from radiation therapy and chest pain. I didn’t hear back from the nurse on Friday so will try again tomorrow. It’s hard not to be paranoid about every new pain. Leo, I think I’ll start keeping track of any new symptoms as you have done. I’m glad I found this support group, thank you.

Archived