Not sure what to do

Vickie C

Hi  I am new . Please if anyone can help me with advice . I was recently told I have adenocarcinoma lung cancer.  I had pet scan and positive bio. They said it was found in early stage on  upper right lung and is only 2 cm. stage 1 . Here's the  twist. There is something showing up above mass but it is inconclusive to what it is as it didn't light up on scan. I was offered  a wedge surgery or chemo or SBRT as I have COPD. I feel fine with no illness. don't know what to choose , Either way they both need to go

Hello, Vickie.  I'm so glad that you found us but really happy that your cancer was found so early.  Is your doctor planning to biopsy the mass?  I would definitely want to know what it is.  Your doctor is certainly giving you a lot of options.  I've had a lobectomy, chemo, radiation, and SBRT so I can share my experiences with you whichever route you choose.  

You'll likely hear from others. LexieCat had the VATS procedure and didn't need any additional treatment.  Hopefully you can be so fortunate!  

Hi Vickie,

My mom had a lobectomy due to adenocarcinoma in right, upper lobe.  She has COPD as well.  After recovering from the lobectomy, my mom actually breathed better because nearly all of the emphysema was removed when they took out the lobe.  The nice thing about a wedge resection is that they would hopefully be able to remove the cancer, as well as, this mystery "thing."

Take Care,

Steff

Vickie,

Welcome here. 

To confirm, you’ve had a biopsy correct?

The PET showed a uptake response to the mass in the lung and the mass above the lung, correct?

Have you had a CT or CAT scan?  What did it show for both places?

I’m trying to understand where your tumors are before giving you my thoughts on a wedge resection or SBRT. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Hi, Vickie,

The way I read your post it's only the one nodule that has lit up on the PET scan, not the other "something" up above, correct?  I think if it were me, I'd want the wedge resection, just to get both out and biopsied.  If the second "something" was another tumor, then I THINK you'd be at Stage II, where adjuvant chemo is usually recommended.  

If they are able to do the wedge resection using VATS, it is a relatively simple surgery with a fast recovery time.

I know that normally, with a lobectomy at least, chemo isn't usually recommended for Stage Ia cancers, but I believe due to the size of yours you might be considered Stage Ib, where chemo is an option.  

What are your doctors recommending?  I'm assuming they didn't just throw out those three options without a recommendation as to which they felt would be more effective...

Hello to everyone who took the time to answer and Thank you....      Ok, Tom had a few questions and I'll do my best to answer .    As far as the Biopsy is concerned, I've had a biopsy the returned as positive for cancer. There is a small spot in my lymph node the lit up on the PET scan.   It showed up and no doctor could conclusively say it was positive as cancer without  a biopsy.  The pulmonary doctor was not willing to do the biopsy of the  the lymph node due to my COPD and felt it was too dangerous to do... So there is a mystery as to the possible positive for cancer, according to the PET scan alone.  The location of the mass in the lung shows in the upper right lobe and according to doctors, lights up like a Christmas tree.   As  far as the Ct/Cat scan being compared to the PET scan, I have not seen them together, but will raise the question the next time i go.   According to the surgeon he would be do the biopsy of the suspicious lymph node while doing the wedge.     Hopefully i was able to clarify to give you all a better idea of my situation... 

Thank you again for all your help and support.

Vickie C

Vickie,

Thanks for the clarification. 

Here is my thinking. Your pulmonologist should perform a lung function test to ensure surgery will leave you with enough lung to function. If that has been performed, and the pulmonologist and surgeon agree on adequate capacity, then I’d suggest surgery over SBRT, especially given the involvement of the lymph node. Is the lymph node the “something showing up above the mass?”  

The reason I think surgery is better is it will allow checking out other lymph nodes and removing them if necessary. SBRT does not allow that flexibility. 

I hope I’ve answered your question. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Archived