SCLC--Single Pulmonary Nodule

Joy Marie

Hi, everyone.  I'm doing research for my mom's recent dx of SCLC nodule which was removed by vats in Sept 24th.  I'm finding articles indicating finding SC in single pulmonary nodules, especially very small sized nodules, is quite rare.  There isn't a lot of info on this, however, there are opinions/findings ( articles I found in Radiology reports) that say a SCLC nodule found this early stage, stage 1, without any lymph node involvement, is similar to a NSCLC finding.   Any input appreciated.     Joy Marie

That's my understanding, too, is that it's pretty rare.  But articles in a radiology journal would be more geared toward identifying cancerous nodules than treating them. Which would mean the FINDINGS might be similar, but the treatment might not be.  I think that's really a question for the oncologist.  I think with almost any cancer, the earlier and more confined it is when it's identified, the more easily it's removed/treated.  But I don't know a whole lot about SCLC.  I know it's generally considered to be more aggressive than NSCLC, but not sure what additional treatment, if any, is generally recommended after lobectomy.

Thanks Lexie.  I found articles at inspire.com via Up-to-date.com.  Also a professional site,  the Chest Journal.  And Researchgate.com.  I know our first line of defense is chemo.  It really does make a lot of sense that in mom's  case it was found so early due to low dose ct  scan as a small nodule.  Any other input or opinions welcome.   Thanks,  Joy 

Can I ask how large her nodule/Tumor was? Did she have radiation as well as chemo? I was diagnosed with SCLC Oct 31 2017. I’ve been NED since late January 2018. I was Limited Stage, had a single tumor , no involvement of lymph nodes and no Mets. I could have surgical removal because of the position next to the heart. Will see if I can find the articles you reference , unless you can provide links. PS the radiation oncologist said she would not consider me Stage 1 because of the location of the tumor. 

Leo, first congrats, so happy to hear you are Ned!  Mom's nodule was 1.4 cm, she had her right lower lobe removed almost 2 weeks ago.  Her nodule is limited stage 1 small cell, no lymph nodes involvement,  clean edges, no mets.  She will see her oncologist this Wednesday.  I wish I knew how to post links.  Try:  Chest Journal.  'Small Cell Lung Cancer Presenting as a Solitary Pulmonary.  Also,  www.inspire.com Survivors Network, posts by Chum.  Researchgate.net publication:  'Small cell cancer presenting as solitary pulmonary nodule.'.      Joy

Joy found the article you referenced - very helpful. I have my next set of surveillance scans the end of this month. I hope for good outcomes. Thanks again for post. The SCLC postings are as rare as the cancer itself. 

The one caveat I would mention is that the article you're talking about is more than 25 years old--which is a lifetime in cancer research.  Not to say it can't still be accurate, but I wouldn't want to count on it as reflecting all that is currently known about the subject.  

Archived