Sister with Stage IV lung cancer and HP

Swan

My family found out two months ago that my 37 year old sister was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. Two years ago, Kaiser ruled out that it wasn't cancer and now going to another hospital and looking at her biospy slide, we now know she has cancer in both lungs. On top of that my sister is battling HP. I'm so frustrated that why didn't Kaiser catch this sooner. She has a nagging cough that didn't going away and they just brush it off. Now we found out the cancer is causing mucus in her lungs and can decrease how she breathes. I'm scared and feel lost on what to do to help my sister. We were told that chemotherapy will only reduce the mucus but won't kill the cancer. I'm at a lost on what to do to help my sister.

Swan,

Sorry to learn of your sister’s lung cancer complicated by hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP). If you feel comfortable, you might share the type of lung cancer your sister has as well as the names of the chemo drugs she is receiving. 

Most of us live with your frustration: uncertainty. Doctors are reluctant to test for lung cancer unless one has risk factors. Thus your frustration of the undiscovered Kaiser experience. While it may not explain or comfort, I always remind myself that medicine is an art that relies on science. Sometimes doctors get it wrong. 

I’ve had HP, several times in concert with my lung cancer treatment. My chemo was suspended and I was dosed with steroids and antibiotics during lengthy hospital stays. 

The only hope I offer is my diagnosis was nearly 15 years ago. I had 8 thoracic surgical procedures, conventional radiation, 18 infusions of Taxol and Carboplatin, the targeted therapy drug Tarceva that did absolutely nothing, and precision radiation. I’m alive and your sister can live also. 

Let us know more about her dx and treatments and we’ll provide insight and our experience. 

Welcome here. This is the place for questions. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Hi Swan,

I'm sorry about what your sister is going through. There is hope, though, and Tom G is a good example of it. He's 15 years out and is going on cruises. 

Swan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis. Did they tell you what kind of cancer she has?

Feel free to ask any questions you have. Hopefully, your sister will be a candidate for one of the treatments that are available today!

Best,

Ro

Archived