What to expect for chemo/ radiation?

Rick P

Diagnosed with stage-3 poorly differentiated carcinoma (non-small cell) of the peribronhioar are with metes to lymph node. Starting chemo weekly with Cisplatin/ Taxitol and radiation five days /wk. in less than two weeks.  I am unsure how I will feel and how much of a burden I will be to my wife.  If anyone can relate to begininning this  type of treatment I would appreciate your input.  Thanks 

I had different combination of chemo drugs early this year with the radiation five days week and chemo and blood work once week for the six weeks. I had no problems at all with this treatment but each individual is different. radiation takes about fifteen minutes each day and the chemo about five hours for the complete infusion once a week.

They will explain everything to you prior to both treatments and possible side effects all I had for the six weeks was little fatique on the weekends.

Great, this sounds better than what I was picturing. My course is weekly for six weeks then every three weeks for two larger doses. I just hope I have the same response as you had. What scares me most is what I don’t know.

Hi Rick P!

One of the things about getting geared up for chemo is the fear of the unknown! I didn't do the concurrent chemo with radiation. I had full doses of Cisplatin and Alimta- once every 3 weeks. After that, I had radiation for 6 weeks. When they combine the chemo and radiation, usually they lower the chemo dosage. So chemo side effects for you may be less than mine were.

Cisplatin is a tough one but it sure works! While I was on it, I could still go to the store, take out the garbage, wash the dishes, etc. I didn't FEEL like doing any of it...lol... but I could! I live near the hospital so I walked to and from all my infusions. I felt better when I walked for some reason. It gave me a metallic taste in my mouth though that totally ruined my enjoyment of coffee.....like drinking with a mouthful of pennies. Bleh! So that just made me pretty grouchy but.... luckily that didn't last too long. I had it at full dose though- you may not have it much.

The docs are actually really good at managing any side effects! 

Rick

Now the two larger doses are different kettle of fish but are must have going forward in your treatment plan. They actually balance your chemo dosage while having  radiation and when you breeze through that you are prepared for the larger dose.  lol

I also walked to the clinic everyday from my accomadations never took the provided shuttle and still walk everyday with my dog during my current treatment.

Bob

52 minutes ago, Kleo said:

Hi Rick P!

One of the things about getting geared up for chemo is the fear of the unknown! I didn't do the concurrent chemo with radiation. I had full doses of Cisplatin and Alimta- once every 3 weeks. After that, I had radiation for 6 weeks. When they combine the chemo and radiation, usually they lower the chemo dosage. So chemo side effects for you may be less than mine were.

Cisplatin is a tough one but it sure works! While I was on it, I could still go to the store, take out the garbage, wash the dishes, etc. I didn't FEEL like doing any of it...lol... but I could! I live near the hospital so I walked to and from all my infusions. I felt better when I walked for some reason. It gave me a metallic taste in my mouth though that totally ruined my enjoyment of coffee.....like drinking with a mouthful of pennies. Bleh! So that just made me pretty grouchy but.... luckily that didn't last too long. I had it at full dose though- you may not have it much.

The docs are actually really good at managing any side effects! 

Kleo

I had that taste also to me it was like WD40 .  yuk

Robert, Klee, and Bridget:  Thank you all for responding.  It helps to have the support of people who have been there.  I know I can do this, but it scares me to think of the treatment.  Now I need to make my wife feel like she can do it also. I’m working on that one every day.  Thanks again everyone!

Rick

Rick

One more thing and very important  Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate I drank water and diluted Gatorade ice during and after all chemo infusions for the duration of the treatment and every day in between.

Bob

Archived