carlalobe

Vats lobectomy scheduled

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site.  I recently was diagnosed with NSCLC, stage one.  The mass was discovered on July 4th, and for three months, was told by my pulmonologist, that I had a fungal infection.  My immunologist and family physician, finally decided to send me to the University of Michigan Hospital.  They within days performed a bronchoscopy, which confirmed that the mass was cancer.  They have scheduled me for a Da Vinci assisted VATS upper lobectomy on November 12th.  I am terrified, as I have Primary Immune Deficiency.  I do weekly subcantaneous infusions of immune globulin, to keep me from getting infections.  Even doing this, I average about eight bouts per year, of sinus and upper respiratory infections.  I am more afraid of getting a secondary infection, than I am of the surgery  itself.  This would hugely complicate my recovery.  Any words of support would be greatly appreciated.  Carlalobe

Hi Carlalob,

welcome to the site.  I'm sure the long-term survivors on this site with lots of wisdom and experience will chime in soon with their usual calming, encouraging voices, but let me be the first one to say - being afraid is totally okay especially given your existing immunce deficiency.  Before my pneumonectomy, they asked me to use this red liquid soap (urgh, I can't remember the name) to take shower with, especially the night before and the morning of the surgery.  It made my skin dry, but it's supposed to lower the likelihood of infection, so I was all for it.

I believe thoughts and attitude matter - go in to the surgery with "I can do this" and do know you have our support.

Sending you a virtual hug,

MB

Before my mom's VATs surgery she was given an antibacterial soap called Bactoshield to use for 4 nights before surgery.  And she was also given an ointment called Mupirocin to use inside her nostrils for 4 days before surgery.  Mom has bad sinus problems and was told  that ointment was given to prevent infection in the nasal area.       Joy

Thank you Joy!  I am on so many antiviral meds, that it is unbelievable. It will be fine.  I am in good hands, but just as everyone else on this site has been, stressed to the max. ❤️

Hi, Carla,

No experience with immunity issues during surgery, but the surgery itself should be simple, and when your doctors are aware of your immunity issues I assume they will take all necessary precautions.  Probably one of the best things is you should be out of the hospital fairly soon--that cuts down on the opportunities for picking up a hospital bug.

You are so right.  And that is what I am hoping for.  They will keep me isolated to the best of their ability. I have already informed my friends and family, that as much as I love them, the only visitor will be my husband.  Thank you for responding LexieCat.  ❤️

Good thinking!  The other good thing is that the incisions will be very small, and they heal FAST, so you won't have big open wounds.  And with someone to take care of you at home, that's all the more reason for you to be able to come home soon.  I stayed an extra day because I live alone and wanted to be sure I felt OK to get around.

I quess that I should count my blessings, for my loving husband, and caretaker.  So many of us are not that fortunate.  God Bless, each and everyone of you that are battleing cancer of any sort!  Again, thank you, LexieCat ❤️

Hi, carlalobe,

Welcome to LCSC. I'm glad to see that you've already connected with some of our members. We'll be thinking of you on Nov. 12! Please check in after your surgery and let us know how you're doing! We are here for you.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hello    I just had VATS on 11/02/18 myself.   I was so afraid , but I found hope and answers here with these wonderful people. I was lucky that it was stage 1   on my right upper lobe and had a wedge  removed. Drs got it all and lymph nodes where all negative . I have COPD so was really worried about my breathing . Thank God everything went well and I am home recovering now.  Good luck

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.