Hi.

Seventhson

I am new here and learning how to use this site. Not sure if I am suppose to introduce myself in new topic or not. Just diagnosed with lung cancer yesterday after biopsy. Hi everyone.

Hi I am in Nova Scotia Canada and just diagnosed with lung carcinoma via biopsy. I expect I will receive surgery . Biopsy was very painful cause the nurses were unable to obtain an I.V.  so I received freezing but no meds ( versed etc ). Has anyone here had a nodule surgically removed and how painful was it?. 

Seventhson,

Welcome here.

We just visited Nova Scotia (Stanley and Halifax) in October on a fall colors cruise.  Your Provence is beautiful but winter is coming!

Introduce yourself anywhere on the site.  We'll find you.  I live in the states and there are differences in lung cancer treatment between Canada and the US, so keep that in mind as I answer your questions.

I had my right lung removed.  The name of the procedure was a pneumonectomy.  A conventional method (banana-shape incision on the right side of my back.  Recovery took me about 5 days.  I was encouraged to use a spirometer to exercise my airway and was encouraged to be up and walking the ward the day after surgery.  Was the recovery painful?  Yes but I recovered quickly.  My experience was a worse case experience.  Now new methods of surgery called VATS and the like used minimally invasive techniques to remove smaller portions of the lung or a procedure called a plug biopsy may be used to remove a nodule and small portion of the lung.  Again, these are methods used in the states.

You had problem with IVs.  I also share that problem. Here are some ideas that might help you get through the next "stick." Of course, in Canada, one does not pay for missed sticks but you get the idea.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Seventhson and welcome,

I had a small nodule and had a lobectomy, which is a pretty common way to deal with it. Sometimes less than a lobe can be taken out, depending on size, location and other factors. My surgery was VATS (video-assisted thoracic surgery). I was released from the hospital the followig day, which is sooner than most people are. I went home with a chest tube in place--many if not most aren't released until the chest tube can come out. It has to stay in place as long as there's an air leak. I had it for 10 days. I had some pain and was on opiods, but got off them quickly once the tube was out. 

Keep us posted on your treatment. Be sure to ask us any questions you have and tell us how we can support you. That's what we're here for.

Bridget O

13 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Seventhson,

Welcome here.

We just visited Nova Scotia (Stanley and Halifax) in October on a fall colors cruise.  Your Provence is beautiful but winter is coming!

Introduce yourself anywhere on the site.  We'll find you.  I live in the states and there are differences in lung cancer treatment between Canada and the US, so keep that in mind as I answer your questions.

I had my right lung removed.  The name of the procedure was a pneumonectomy.  A conventional method (banana-shape incision on the right side of my back.  Recovery took me about 5 days.  I was encouraged to use a spirometer to exercise my airway and was encouraged to be up and walking the ward the day after surgery.  Was the recovery painful?  Yes but I recovered quickly.  My experience was a worse case experience.  Now new methods of surgery called VATS and the like used minimally invasive techniques to remove smaller portions of the lung or a procedure called a plug biopsy may be used to remove a nodule and small portion of the lung.  Again, these are methods used in the states.

You had problem with IVs.  I also share that problem. Here are some ideas that might help you get through the next "stick." Of course, in Canada, one does not pay for missed sticks but you get the idea.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks for that. Yes the big difference between us is here the care is free. But aside from clinics like the mayo etc... the care is much the same. They will keep sticking ya here for an I.V.. But I was the first one of the day so holding up the line. Thought if I took too long would be back waiting for another appointment. 

I got a call today from pulmonary doctor who ordered the biopsy to confirm I will be getting a call from a thoracic surgeon. He also told me for sure it is a carcinoid.  I have a lot of rib discomfort/ pain. Wondering if this 1.4 cm caranoid is to blame or it has spread to ribs. Bone density scan, CTscan and pet scan show nothing. But ribs on both sides under arms hurt. Did anyone else ever have the same with just a carcinoid tumor. 

20 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Hi Seventhson and welcome,

I had a small nodule and had a lobectomy, which is a pretty common way to deal with it. Sometimes less than a lobe can be taken out, depending on size, location and other factors. My surgery was VATS (video-assisted thoracic surgery). I was released from the hospital the followig day, which is sooner than most people are. I went home with a chest tube in place--many if not most aren't released until the chest tube can come out. It has to stay in place as long as there's an air leak. I had it for 10 days. I had some pain and was on opiods, but got off them quickly once the tube was out. 

Keep us posted on your treatment. Be sure to ask us any questions you have and tell us how we can support you. That's what we're here for.

Bridget O

Thanks for that. Doctors have told me it is a carcinoid.  It is 1.4 cm. Have slight cough but a moderate amount of rib pain. No sure if this is from the carcinoid or not. Just waiting for a call from thoracic surgeon. Thks again. 

Archived