My Uncle was diagnosed with Stage IV incurable lung cancer 😢

Tashia

Looking for any advice or any hope. My Uncle's Squamous NSCLC has spread already since October. We are being told it is inoperable 😢 He is now doing radiation 5 days a week, had a new scan today to check his brain. This is so devastating to our family. We are not sure of his exact prognosis at this point, but he has his appointment with his Oncologist on the 28th of November. Anyone with this same diagnosis? Looking for input and hope! 

So sorry your uncle has cancer. I know from experience it is extremely difficult. Good that he is in treatment. Best of luck on your uncles recent tests. Waiting for results and not knowing is often one of most difficult times. Sounds like they are willing to try treatment so that's a good sign. Easier to make internal personal decisions and organize your thoughts and feelings once you have all the info. Try to focus on being there for him and sharing this with him in the meantime. I send you strength love and a prayer my friend. Hope your uncles next doctors appointment has some good news. 

Thank you so much Seventhson I appreciate it. They have not mentioned biomarker testing, immunotherapy, or targeted treatment as of yet. They are only doing radiation at this point. How can you get your doctor to do this testing and is it covered my Medicare? Is he even a candidate for these types of treatment?

Sounds like they concentrating on the radiation right now. That's a lot to handle. As for other diagnostic tests I am not sure what their plan of action is. Have you personally spoken with his doctor.?. They would have those answers. 

How about you. Are you eating and sleeping.  Getting yourself sick is no good for anyone. Remember during this time to be sure you and others he depends on look after each other as well. Take some time to sit in quiet and collect your thoughts.  Also do something to take your mind off things if only for a few minutes.  

I am thinking of you. Your friend . 

I have not spoken to the doctor. I would like to, because I always do lots of research and want to help as much as possible. But it is my Uncle, so I don't want to cross any boundries, you know? I do tell my Aunt about things I have researched. But she is so overwhelmed. So I am hoping my cousin, the one that goes to all important appointments is asking questions and doing research himself. My Sister has told me I need to kinda step back sometimes ( take a break, as you said) I just want to help as much as possible, and be there for any support that is needed. That's just how I always am. I hate to just sit here and think about it. I feel I have to stay busy, be proactive. Today was a rough day for me emotionally, just makes me so sad, and I feel helpless 😞 But as for the rest of the evening, I am trying to relax and turn my thoughts off about it. Very hard to do. Thank you so much for your responses. They are appreciated 😊

Also, Thank you for your advice regarding my own care. That is very kind of you. I also try to make sure my Aunt has help when needed, she is very independent and doesn't ask for help much. So we offer stuff constantly. She needs her rest, she is not in the best of health either. So we worry about her. She is now his caretaker. Very tough job. We check in with her daily. My Mom ( her Sister) and myself. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving ☺

• 1 month later...

Hi, Tashia. Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? Please feel free to share an update or ask questions. We are here for you.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

On 11/20/2018 at 9:31 PM, Tashia said:

Looking for any advice or any hope. My Uncle's Squamous NSCLC has spread already since October. We are being told it is inoperable 😢 He is now doing radiation 5 days a week, had a new scan today to check his brain. This is so devastating to our family. We are not sure of his exact prognosis at this point, but he has his appointment with his Oncologist on the 28th of November. Anyone with this same diagnosis? Looking for input and hope! 

courage /chemo and radiation

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 9:55 AM, LaurenH said:

Hi, Tashia. Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? Please feel free to share an update or ask questions. We are here for you.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

My uncle is still going through treatment. 2 kinds of Chemo and Keytruda. It is really kicking his butt ☹️ Today on his Birthday he has a 5 hour treatment. It doesn't seem to be helping him. He is in an angry stage (which I can't really blame him) and can't do anything. He has no energy at all. He has lost weight and the hair on his head. But thankfully no vomiting. He has 4-5 more treatment's for this round. The next treatment will be the 2 month mark. They are planning on doing another scan to see if the treatment is doing anything for him. Has anyone had the same experience, or had any success with this combination? It is all so stessful and depressing to see him this way. He is normally very active, social, and has a great sense of humor. It is very hard on my Aunt as she is his primary caregiver, and gets the brunt of his anger. I wonder what is next, after these treatment's are done. Keep hoping and praying for miracles! He has no quality of life at this time. It is hard to watch him feeling this way 😢

Tashia,

My mom had 6 sessions of the combo. It did a number on her, but also did a nber on the cancer. Now that she has no evidence of active disease, those 6 months of feeling lousy is a distant memory for her. I documented her 1st year of treatment, it is under the NSCLC thread and titled "Finding Hope in my Mom's Lung Cancer Journey.

On 11/20/2018 at 6:46 PM, Seventhson said:

So sorry your uncle has cancer. I know from experience it is extremely difficult. Good that he is in treatment. Best of luck on your uncles recent tests. Waiting for results and not knowing is often one of most difficult times. Sounds like they are willing to try treatment so that's a good sign. Easier to make internal personal decisions and organize your thoughts and feelings once you have all the info. Try to focus on being there for him and sharing this with him in the meantime. I send you strength love and a prayer my friend. Hope your uncles next doctors appointment has some good news. 

This is when I introduced myself. November 28th, 2018.

Tashia

Archived