Good news and a question

BridgetO

I just got by e-mail the results of my CT( 2 years out from lobectomy. NED!  

I have a question, in fact a couple of questions. First, in the accompanying message, my pulmonologist says I now need CTs only once a year. After the surgery, I recall that she (or was it my surgeon?) said I'd have CTs every 6 months for 5 years.  How often are others having these? My diagnosis was adenocarcinoma Stage 1A.

Second, Here's part of my CT report:" No local recurrence or metastatic disease after right lower lobectomy. Unchanged multifocal scarring/fibrosis in the remaining right lung, greater toward the base and apex. Stable right basilar pleural thickening. Unchanged tiny granulomas. No new concerning pulmonary nodule, mass or pleural effusion. Stable interlobular septal thickening in the right lung without nodularity."  Does anybody else have this scarring and fibrosis and/or pleural or septal thickening?  Or any ideas about significance? Thanks

Congrats!!! I just scheduled my next scan for a couple weeks from now (which will be 1.5 years for me).  I can't recall at what point they said the scans might drop back to annual, but have a vague recollection it might be a couple of years.

My scans show mild emphysema (result of smoking, no doubt) and also an "azygous fissure" which I think is just an anatomical anomaly.  So I think the scans report anything out of the ordinary, even if they have zero to do with what they are scanning for.  Were those same observations seen on your previous scans?

Thanks Lexicat. I think it's the same, since it  was described as stable,  but every scan is reported by a different radiologist and thy describe things in slightly different terms. One reported mild emphesema. I've never been a smoker. So who knows. I breathe OK, so I guess that's what's important. 

Bridget,

It took me quite a while to progress to once-a-year diagnostic but it is the gold standard for lung cancer.  Actually, I see my oncologist twice a year but only have one CT during that period.  

I read your CT report and noted similar words in my reports.  I am fortunate that I have acquired a stable of radiologists who review my scans and the words "unchanged from previous" and "no new concerning" predominate.

Stay the course.

Tom

Bridget,

HAPPY DANCE!!!! Congrats!  I am withy mom right now and she says so grats too!

My mom has had the scarring and fibrosis with immunotherapy. The scarring shows up bigger at times and then smaller - I think it is probably just the angle of the CT that changes the size. The small pockets of fibrosis comes and goes. Steroids dont seem to help it, they just need to come and go on their own.  Glad to hear the your breathing isn't affected...hopefully it will take care of itself.

Take care,

Steff

Congratulations Bridget!  I haven't been on the site for a long time (need to catch up; respond to posts!), so this was a wonderful first post to read... Thrilled for your NED!

I have a couple of post lobectomy radiology reports that read almost identical to what you've provided... So I, too, have been wondering what it all means.  I did some online research but only found I was upsetting myself as I struggled to make my own interpretations of what some of that meant (i.e. plueral thickening). 

I'm just very happy to hear your good news.

and... LexiCat... Early wishes that your next scan will be excellent news for you as well. 

Colleen

Archived