dcb003

Hello to everyone. I just had a Pet Scan and my doctor said my lung cancer is not one area but all over. I am having a biopsy done to determine what treatment is needed. I am scared about chemotherapy. Any one who can let me know their experience similar to mine, please share with me. Thank you! 

Hi dcb oo3

My cancer had spread from my lung to the surrounding lymph nodes and was inoperable so i had to settle for radiation and chemo for six weeks i had no problems but chemo is very different with each individual in regards to side effects. I would be more concerned about getting no treatment. Leave it up to the doctors and go for the ride and you manage the appointments. lol

Bob

Hi and welcome,

My lung cancer experience isn't similar to  yours, since mine was in one place and could be taken out with surgery. I did have chemo for an earlier non-lung cancer that was advanced and aggressive.  It wasn't a fun experience, but I got through it and I'm alive today with no evidence of disease almost 8 years later.  Chemo can be scary but it's also likely to be life-saving. Hang in there, you can do it if you need to.

Bridget O

Hi there and welcome!  I replied to your other thread.

Nobody wants to have to deal with chemo--I know *I* was relieved that my cancer did not require it.  But Bridget's right, it can save your life.  And depending on what the biopsy shows, you might be a candidate for targeted treatment or immunotherapy, which can be amazingly effective for certain cancers.

Not everyone has a bad experience with side effects, either.  For some people they are minimal.

One step at a time--find out what you are dealing with and then you can go from there.  You can do this--lots of people here are leading great lives in spite of advanced cancer.

Welcome and glad you found us. Do you know what chemo drugs you'll be taking? Side effects can differ by drug type.  As Bob noted, we all react differently to them as well. Let us know what your drugs will be and we'll definitely share our experiences.  I also recommend this site as a great source for drugs, side effects, and ways to handle them.

That said, I'll share my chemo experience with you. In 2016, I had four rounds of Cisplatin and Alimta.  Nausea was my worst side effect during treatment but I had two different prescriptions from Super Doc to help.  I also developed neuropathy and tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and both still linger. In 2017, I had 8 rounds of Carboplatin and Taxol.  The first six rounds were "light" and I don't recall any side effects. The last two rounds were full doses; I lost my hair and the Taxol caused significant bone pain.  Super Doc gave me pain meds for that. I shaved what was left of my hair on July 10th and needed my first haircut by December.  

Please feel free to ask us anything and we'll do our best to help you.

Susan

My last two rounds 7 and  8 were also full doses of Carboplatin and Taxol in July this year,  But i never had to shave my head as there was no hair left to shave.  lol

Had my first haircut this week and now like to keep it short.

Bob

Archived