Question for ladies, hair loss - New to this

Joy Marie

Mom's done 3 out of her 4 infusions and it about 75% bald.  My question is, is it better to shave off all the hair? She still has some left that she thinks will not fall out.  I think if we shave it all off her new hair will grow through quicker.   I'd like other ladies experiences.  Thanks.     Joy

Hi Joy Marie,

One of my fellow LC pals had something similar happen to her.  She went to Target to purchase a hair buzzer thing & shaved her whole head so it would grow back evenly.  

My Mom had Carboplatin for endometrial cancer- same thing happened to her & the rest of her hair fell out after treatment four.  

You might want to check with the treatment team pharmacist (the onc won’t usually know) to see what supplements your Mom could benefit from that can stimulate hair growth (like biotin & other B vitamins) when she finishes chemo.  

Good news in that I hear the pixie cut is back in vogue. 

Michelle

I got mine buzz cut when it started falling out because I'd rather be bald than have sparse hair. I got some cute scarves and hats, some of which I still wear. I got a wig too, but it was too weird for me. Maybe if I had gotten an expensive wig it would have been better. Afterwards,, when my hair started growing out, and got to about 3/4  of an inch, I got a haircut and then it looked intentional, rather than like chemo hair. It was an interesting experience being bald! Very easy hair styling. Easy to go swimming. 

I started with long hair and went to a shorter cut when I started losing it. I finally just shaved my whole head when I got tired of finding hair everywhere. It’s growing out thicker and curly now. 

I have to say so much easier buzzing it. Oh and like BridgetO I bought a couple of wigs but never could get myself to wear them. 

Thanks ladies for your input.  Mom's hair has always been baby fine.  There are not clumps of hair all over the place, I think she is losing it gradually.   She also thinks some little hairs may already be growing back.  She likes the chemo beanie hats and she has one wig she wears outside the house.  Thanks for suggestions on hair growth supplements.  I think when it's time she will want her head shaved.     Joy

Update on Mom's hair since I lasted posted Dec 14th.   It's grown almost 2 inches all over her head.  Her last infusion is 10 days away.  I hope she doesn't lose it again but we are open minded and thankful no matter what.      Joy

Thanks for the update, Joy Marie! We’re glad that she only has one infusion left! We’ll be thinking of you both and hoping that everything goes smoothly.

With gratitude,

Lauren

Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Thank you Lauren.  We are very hopeful and thankful she got through this quite easily. Her last treatment is Jan 4th.  And I will continue to post about how she's doing and follow up scans.  

Archived