Sandra Dee

8mm nodul with spiculated

8mm nodul with spiculated more like to be cancerous?  I also have 3mm nodules. Can you please help with your opinions. I have to have a pet scan. If nothing shows up, and have to have them for the next 3 years.

Hi Sandra Dee and welcome. You'll need to have more testing before you know whether you have lung cancer or not. There are lots of causes for nodules and sometimes they come and go. Spiculated is  more suspicious for being malignant than some other shapes/appearances. We're not doctors here, but we can share our experiences. Let us know what questions you may have and keep us posted. We're here for you.

Hi Sandra.  I’m going through the same thing right now.  I have an 8mm spiculated nodule on my lung.  I do have a family history of lung cancer, I’ve never smoked.   It was found on a scan for something else six months ago.  At the time they did a PET scan which is probably the next step for you.  Active cancer cells glow on a PET scan.  If the nodule doesn’t “light up” on the scan they will likely just want you to come in for CT scans every three or six months.  If it does light up they will want to  biopsy it.  Hearing you have a nodule is really stressful.  The waiting to find out what it is can be maddening.  I still can’t believe how hard it is for them to diagnose small nodules.  They still aren’t able to tell me what mine is.  I have a follow up on Monday.  My doctors have told me that 60% of lung nodules are not cancer.  Spiculated makes them more suspicious, but not definitive.  I find this forum helpful.  Stay diligent and keep after the doctors until you know for sure what you are dealing with.  Hopefully it’s notjing, if it does turn out to be something 8mm is really small and very treatable/curable.  

When I was in my lung cancer screening program, my first scan showed several nodules.  I was told to come back in three months, and when that second scan showed no changes, they had me come back in a year.  At that point ONE of the nodules had grown slightly and was now spiculated.  Although the nodule was too small to biopsy, the growth and suspicious appearance led my pulmonologist and my surgeon to recommend surgery even without the biopsy.  It did turn out to be cancer.

If you have no risk factors for lung cancer, it may well be that they don't even continue to follow the nodules on a regular basis.  Most nodules are not cancer.  I think the only reason they wanted to see me back in a year was as part of the regular screening program I was in, due to my smoking history (heavy smoker for 40 years).

Incidentally, I still have several nodules that have been there from the beginning and they are stable and unchanged from the first scans.  They are sitting there, currently doing no harm, and they just keep an eye on them when I go in for my regular post-surgery scans.

i have a 5.5x4.4mm spiculated nodule in the right upper lobe anterior. i am a nonsmoker so i was curious the step they can do to rule out cancer.

@april barrow with anything less than 10 mm they will likely just monitor it with CT scans every six months.  If it grows they will do a PET scan.  If it doesn’t they will just continue to monitor it.  The nodule you have is VERY small.  The majority of nodules are NOT cancer.  

Hello @Going crazy waiting   The wait between finding out there is something on your lung and actually finding out what it is is very stressful.  I watched one for almost a year and opted to have surgery without knowing for sure.  I didn’t find out I had cancer until I woke up from the surgery.  I hope there are more definitive diagnostic tools for lung cancer soon.  

Keep in mind that the majority of nodules are NOT cancer.  The fact that there are two, the one is spiculated and you have a family history increases the concern a bit, though None are a definitive driving factor.  Keep watching them and try and live life without thinking about it between those scans.