Wedge Lobectomy Scheduled Feb 26

Curt

Hi Curt,  your procedure and diagnosis sounds pretty much like mine. I also had adenocaricnoma stage 1a. I'm doing great 2 years out. I'm probably one of the only people you'll hear say they were relieved the diagnosis was lung cancer. My nodule was found in a routine CT I had because of a prior Stage 3 and aggressive non-lung cancer. It was  a relief to know that I didn't have a metastasis from the other one, which would then have been stage 4. Of course, it would have been better to hear that it was "nothing".

Lung cancer is no picnic, but it's curable and even though doctors don't like to say "cured" because it can recur, a complete removal of the tumor  and negative nodes is pretty close to cured in my book. About who to tell what-- you need to do what you're comfortable with. I've been pretty straighforward with other people about my 3 different cancer diagnoses. For me that works. I suggest with kids that you tell them that you HAD cancer and now it's gone, and to be open and encourage questions, even hard ones like "are you going to die". If you're secretive or unwilling to talk openly about this diagnosis, a lot of kids are going to worry, be anxious or think something is their fault,  but keep it to themselves. Modeling openness can be helpful and can dispell a lot of weirdness and wrong ideas that people (not just kids!) have about cancer.  After all, it's just a disease, not a curse, not a death sentence, not an indication that we've done something "wrong" .

Hang in there.

Bridget O

Awww Curt, I have been holding my breath waiting for your outcome, I am very surprised.  I’m so glad that you got a second opinion and just went for it instead of continuing the watch and wait.  Our stories are similar, same size, no uptake on Pet and spiculated, makes me wonder if I’m doing the right thing by waiting until April or I should insist on Vats now.  At least you now know what it is and ofcourse stage 1 is a great outcome, you said Vats wasn’t that bad, easier than you thought?  How is your breathing? I am thinking of you every day and I’m glad you have support, I’m so sorry my friend.

Lisa

Lisa.....Personally, I would push for surgery as soon as possible.  I had a little over 2 months between diagnosis of stage 1, 1 cm in size to surgery and stage 3....3 cm in size and lympth nodes involved.  Moving up surgery, you do have to consider who your VATS surgeon is. I was blessed to have an awesome surgeon.

Laurel, I totally understand and it was 3 weeks from original ct scan to the pet/ct scan and nothing changed I also had nothing glow on pet scan which they feel would be slow growing and the norm is to wait to see if it grows, I have been following Curt and he has been dealing with this a year, I found the nodule 2 months ago.  My pulm doc also said the nodule doesn’t look spiculated like original scan, I met my new primary doc today also and she also agreed with next ct scan, it is all so very scary no lie so unless it has gone away or gotten smaller next scan I might just as Lexi cat would say go to the big guns cancer center and just have it removed 

I hope you are doing ok.

lisa

Thank you for all the responses and advice.  My instinct is to be honest with my kids about it.  My wife worries it will upset them too much.  My father died from lung cancer and it is something that we talk to them about..  I think in their mind Lung Cancer means dying.  I’m also concerned on a professional level that my customers will be less likely to use my company because my diagnosis.  I’m the driving force behind the work we get and I’m worried my competitors will use it against me.   I keep thinking of it as a weakness   I don’t like have weaknesses  

Lisa you have been on my mind as well.  I know our paths have been similar and I wondered how my results would affect you.  We do have some differences.  I’ve been following mine for a year, I have a very large history of lung cancer in my family and I had two doctors tell me this is what I should do.  I put this surgery off for almost a month so that I could go on vacation with my family.  Given the growth rate over the last year the doctor didn’t feel that was an issue.  The final tumor size did end up being 1 CM instead of 8 MM.  The doctor said that could have been due to growth or just a variation on the scan.  If your doctor is saying it’s ok to wait until April and you’ve gotten a second opinion about that then I think that’s ok, but I understand your anxiousness about it   

I had my gallbladder removed last year.  It’s how I found out about this spot.  That surgery was more painful a recovery.  I’ve had no quality of life changes from that surgery.  I’m told I will have very minimal from this.  It’s really strange but just sitting here typing this I don’t notice any difference in my breathing.  There are definitely differences in the amount of air I’m able to take in on the spirometer, but it doesn’t seem to affect me when sitting still or light walking.  If I go up and down stairs that winds me.  Going outside in the cold last night (18 degrees) was really tough.  I was surprised by how hard it was to breath in that cold.  I’m told all that will pass with time.  

If you have the wedge resection it is a pretty minimal procedure with no quality of life issues.  There are always the general concerns with surgery and general Anastesia but in terms of surgery a wedge resection  is considered more of a procedure than a surgery. If you end up needing the full lobectomy then that is what it is, there is very little to consider in that instance.  

Please keep me posted on your progress.  I know how stressful this all is.  I’m here for you.

Hi Curt

I can totally understand the professional issues you are facing. It’s easy to say this-have faith in your customers.  I think they will stand by you. The message is simple- the cancer is gone.  This is the new face of lung cancer.  Any competitor that tries to use this information to steal away business will be viewed as transparent sleezebags.  

I wasn’t the CEO but I was about to sign a COO gig the day I was hospitalized.  I was so overwhelmed.  Ironically I’m fighting a Stage IV diagnosis & I’ve had three job offers since September!  I came from a very competitive health care software industry (insurance before that).  Totally unexpected outcome- savvy people don’t see lung cancer as a death sentence. 

You might not only retain all your business but gain more if clients can see your tenacity to fight.  It’s easier said than done so try to put away the worry & focus on recovery.  Take the time you need without rushing back into the pace.  

Michelle

Curt I’m not gonna lie your diagnosis hit me hard, who would have thought this girl from Oklahoma would be friends with a Jersey guy, but even if I get diagnosed with LC or not you my friend have been very supportive and when you said (I’m here for you) tear 😪.   What I am very happy about is stage 1, thank god your mom looked at your first scan and noticed the nodule, I am also glad I went for a random scan, look at it this way your dad was looking out for you and I also think my Mom was me as well.  As far as your business I completely understand because I also own mine, but I have told all my employees about my scare and they have been nothing but very supportive and Michelle is right anybody that wouldn’t use you because you had a lung procedure would be a complete a__! I’m glad you went on a vaca with your fam, I am also looking forward to my trip.  I’ll keep bugging you asking about how you are doing, I feel blessed I found this forum because everybody is wonderful.  ❤️

Lisa

Hi Curt, how are you feeling? Just thinking about you...I’m trying not to think about anything but my vaca but I can’t help it ..I really hope you are well my friend ❤️

Thank you for checking in Lisa.  I’m doing good.  I ventured out for a haircut today so that’s progress.    I’m considering going in to work for a few hours next week.  I’m going a bit stir crazy.  There are only so many laps I can walk around my house.  I hope you have an amazing vacation.  Soak up the sun and enjoy it.  Leave this nonsense  behind for a bit.  

Archived