Trip Insurance

Rower Michelle

Hello Fellow Voyagers, 

We've decided to book a trip next month to FLA.  I'm not going to live life in between scans.  So now is as good as anytime.  Before I book do you all have recommendations for a Trip Insurance company?  I'm looking to book on SouthWest (to use the travel credits from the two trips we had to cancel last year).  

Thanks,  Michelle 

If you're concerned about the airfare, no worries with Southwest--you can cancel any reservation and receive full credit for what you paid.  I believe cash refunds are available only with the higher priced fares, but for any of them you will receive the full cost credited to your account.  It's one of the reasons I book with them whenever possible--no change fees or penalties.

If you're concerned about lodging or other expenses, check with the provider first--you might not have to pay up front.  And I'd check with them first to see if there's an insurance company they use.

ETA: Just ran across this article, which might give you a few places to start looking: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherelliott/2018/08/18/the-best-and-worst-travel-insurance-companies/#4e9a28e04fc2

Sounds like the "pre-existing condition" limitation is pretty widespread even with the good companies.

Thanks LexieCat-  I just spent 45 minutes on the phone reorganizing the travel credits on SWA from the last two trips we canceled. I have a whole new appreciation for my admin!  She was constantly juggling my schedule and made it look easy.

In my working life I was a serious road warrior. In 2017 I spent 38 weeks on the road.  I was on the same path in 2018 until I started to get sick in August.   The cancer diagnosis came in September so I missed my  Washington Island trip and Thanksgiving in Maine.    I just found out that VRBO offers trip insurance for the property so I was able to purchase.    Thanks for sending the link- I will look into this.   At first I was nervous about traveling  and have been inspired by this group.   

Michelle,

I'm glad you are traveling and as for travel insurance, we never leave home without it.

Bob & Lexi have given you some great information on insurance sources.  I've been NED for so long, I'm out of the window for pre-existing conditions but I have another problem: picking up a cold that morphs into a chest cold that morphs into pneumonia.  We typically do a transatlantic cruise in the spring then tour in Europe on the back end of the cruise.  To protect against a non-viral illness, my doctor prescribes two kinds of antibiotic that we take on our trip: Bactrim and Levaquin (I'm allergic to penicillin).   He's also instructed me and my wife (an RN) on symptoms that suggest I should start taking the antibiotic.  This precaution rescued one of our European vacations.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Michelle,

Here are my suggestions for travel insurance.  Look at insuremytrip.oom , a site that lets you compare prices and coverage from a lot of different insurance companies. Be sure to look at the fine print for any policy you're thinking of getting. Definitions may vary by company. I have been able to find policies with preexisting condition coverage, For companies that offer this there is usually some kind of provision that you buy your coverage within a certain number of days of making your first payment for the trip, and that you be able totravel on the day you buy the coverage.  Also, think about how much coverage you need. If airline  tickets are refundab le or reschedulable, you probably don't need coverage. Likewise for hotel reservations that can be cancelled without penalty. Tours and cruises are biggie for non-refundable costs or severe restrictions.  So read everybody's fine print. Also , beware the insurance offered/provided as part of a package (or offered by airlines) . It may not help you much as far as preexisting conditions go. I have needed to get my own coverage on top of what's provided.  Think about medical evacuation coverage, too.I knew someone who broke her leg in Prague and getting home was an issue. I also knew someone with stage 4 cancer making a trip to the Galapagos between chemos. She got sick and had to be airlifted out. Her comment: "Oh well, I had good travel insurance." A few months later she was off on a cruise to the arctic. I loved her spirit. She also said "If I'm going to have to fight for my life, I'm going to have a lif worth fighting for".  For her, that included travel

So, keep traveling!  Just read the fine print and get good insurance.

You guys are so awesome!  Bridget, I just looked at the insuremytrip.com and it's perfect.  This Amelia Island trip is pretty low risk- my CT scan was good, counts are perfect and hubby is recovering from surgery.  I'm so ready to get out of the gray KS winter!   Travel is a big part of my life- even though I traveled extensively for my job which could be a real grind sometimes-I love to explore new places.  I've seen 46 states on somebody else's dime!  Alaska and Hawaii  are bucket list for sure- definitely want the full monty insurance for those expeditions!  Thanks again!! 

I was just about to give you the site that Bridget recommended. I'm in the insurance industry and am working almost exclusively with travel insurance right now. The most important item to remember is to purchase your insurance as close to the date as you purchase your trip/airfare/travel arrangements so that you can purchase the pre-existing condition waiver.  I can't guide you to specific companies, but if you have questions, message me and I'll hopefully be able to answer you.

Archived