This is kind of discouraging...

LexieCat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/what-happens-when-the-doctor-blames-you-for-your-own-cancer/2019/01/11/2791611e-14ff-11e9-90a8-136fa44b80ba_story.html?utm_term=.73e6df1c275a

Thankfully, I've never felt negatively judged for my smoking history by any of my current health care providers.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some doctors do, but it's pretty awful to think that it colors their treatment.

Intresting and no doctor has ever asked me what enviroment i worked in for forty years but asked if i smoked and i said yes so they were happy to put me in that slot and away we went never mentioned again.

Bob

It stinks all around!  When I was going through the diagnostic process, each time I was asked about my smoking history, when I answered in the negative, the looks I got from the inpatient team suggested I was going to be six feet under in the next few days.  Someone even ordered up the hospital Chaplin!   Well, I guess the silver lining in all of this is that in order to change the lung cancer stigma, you have to admit the bias in the first place.  Baby steps I suppose.   

• 2 weeks later...

It’s ridiculous. Yes smoking is bad. Yes it can cause cancer. But there absolutely other environmental situations that cause it. My husband has been a fire fighter for 19 years - yet all of the doctors worry about is that he smoked. Not all of the chemicals and crap he has breathed in fighting fires all of that time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I smoked for about 20 yrs but had given it up 17 yrs before being diagnosed and the first question is if your a smoker and yet there are so many people that have never smoked and much younger than me have been diagnosed with lung cancer..no one deserves cancer..

Just yesterday my doctor said everything is going great but I have some emphysema and some calcium build up in my arteries. The strange thing is he proceeded to tell me to not go out and smoke. Lol what the heck I quit in 2000 almost 20 years ago. I’m really hoping he was kidding because being an ex smoker I feel guilty enough.  🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

It was probably a joke because your scan was good--like a dentist telling you after a good checkup not to go out and eat candy.  (Or so I would imagine--I don't think I ever had a good dental checkup!)

Just now, LexieCat said:

It was probably a joke because your scan was good--like a dentist telling you after a good checkup not to go out and eat candy.  (Or so I would imagine--I don't think I ever had a good dental checkup!)

That’s what I thought Terri! I laughed it off but then thought to myself I hope he wasn’t serious. I play such mind games with myself. I just need to accept that everything is going great. 😁

Archived