Well of course I’m allergic to Taxol-ugh

Barb1260

First day of chemo and now still in ER being monitored because I went into anaphylactic shock from the Taxol. I thought I was dying at one point when my blood pressure plummeted. Never did get Carbo today-maybe tomorrow. Gonna call in the morning. Between the prechemo benedryl, the 2nd benedryl for the allergic reaction, the steroids, Atavan and the EPI pen I think I’ll be awake all night. 

Barb,

Oh no! So sorry to learn of this. I never had a reaction but know those who have. 

Glad they got you to ER quickly.  Hope you recover quickly. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thanks Tom. They had me stable in the Cancer Centre-they jumped right in and got me under control. The ER is hospital protocol if you have a reaction in an outpatient building. The ER is within a block of every building. (But of course they had to call an ambulance) Week #1 has been interesting to say the least. 

Oh no. Rough day for sure.  Yes- you will probably be up all night.  Not a bad time to organize closets.  Thank goodness you knew what was happening. Welcome to the super-utilizer club of healthcare.  Hoping & praying for a better day tomorrow.   

16 hours ago, Barb1260 said:

First day of chemo and now still in ER being monitored because I went into anaphylactic shock from the Taxol. I thought I was dying at one point when my blood pressure plummeted. Never did get Carbo today-maybe tomorrow. Gonna call in the morning. Between the prechemo benedryl, the 2nd benedryl for the allergic reaction, the steroids, Atavan and the EPI pen I think I’ll be awake all night. 

Wow I’m sorry you had to deal with that. I hope things are better today. 

Better but still shaky from all the steroids and stuff pumped into me yesterday. And now the oncs office wanting to know if I want to try the carbo today. More steroids and benedryl with the way I am now, no way. This on top of my ear infection again and being dizzy from that too. So sitting here waiting for the oncologists partner to check me over-she’s not in today. Might want to pump me up with fluids to force it all through me. What a first week introduction. But I love that my docs are constantly on the phone as soon as something new comes up. 

No coverage for the epi-pen- that’s ridiculous!  Can your doctor appeal?  

You know I’m mulling over an advocacy idea- a Patient’s Bill of Rights.  For those of us with Advanced Cancers (Stage 3 & above) what the treatment team says should go forward as long as it’s the safe & within treatment standards.  It’s unbelievable the issues we have with insurance. We are fighting for our lives & with the bureaucracy of insurance which we all paid into.  It really stinks.  

Hi Michelle.  I will check with the doc and the pharmacy usually knows about discounts for certain drugs. I’ve heard them talk to others about them so I will ask when I pick it up. I’m getting Carbo today. Of course I had a slight reaction-itching and burning tongue. So more benedryl then a slower drip. So many pre-drugs just to take at home then more on site. What a week. Oh the doc said I can have a small amount of wine 🍷 occasionally if I felt it would take the edge off. She’s talking restaurant pour, not Barb pour.  😜 

Thanks Paula. I’m toughing it out (after a lot of scared tears) with the help of my wonderful onc’s chemo team. Seems there’s a remedy for everything and they know every trick in the book. 

I hear you!  I turned purple on my face after Carbo.  No need to tough this out.  We’ve all been there.  A big giant hug to you!  Saturday will be a better day.  Treat yourself to something nice.   We’re here for you! 

Archived