Newbie Introduction

ljsems1999

Caregiving has been my vocation for the last 18 months. I lost my mother to NSCLC in May 2017. My husband is a Vietnam Veteran who was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam. He was diagnosed with Stage 4 Adenocarcinoma in December of 2017. He is currently receiving Palliative Care and is in maintenance immunotherapy with Optivo.

Hi and welcoms. I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. And for your husband's diagnosis. We have  a lot of caregivers on these forums and I'm sure you'll be hearing from somoe of them. Let us know how w can support you.

Bridget O

Thank you, BridgetO. I think the hardest part right now is watching my husband in pain and not being able to do anything about it. We consulted with his hospice nurse yesterday and had his medication increased, which seems to have helped some. Major concerns at this point are quality of life issues and missing the way things used to be. I try to stay positive and be thankful for the remaining time we have together, but some days are definitely harder than others!

Welcome from me, too.  I'm sorry for your husband's pain, and the distress it causes you.  

I've been a caregiver, and it's important to remember to take care of yourself, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

As a fellow caregiver (I'm more of a care advocate for my mom), I wish I had a magic wand for you.  I'm sorry you and your family are having to deal with this horrible disease.  Your mom and husband are so very lucky to have you.  Even though I can more relate to you than those with lung cancer (my mom is the patient), I never quite know what to say.  I understand the loss of your "normal" life and missing it.  My mom's counselor told her that we grieve for the loss of our "normal" life just as we do for other losses.  I wish there was some way to relieve your grief, if only for a day.  I'm sorry that I can't.  My hope is that you have someone to share your grief with and if you do not, we are great listeners here.  May today be peaceful for you and your family.

Take Care,

Steff

Archived