Need advice! Super nervous

Worried18

Hello, so I am going in monday for a bronchoscopy to check my lungs after failed attempts to see anything on scans. I have been experiencing swollen lymph nodes all down my neck, chronic cough and shortness of breath for over 3 years. I am a 32 year old male, never a smoker. Doctors cant give me an answer why I am in such misery with these symptoms. I have had 4 xrays, and a ct scan all over the past 3 years and they have seen nothing. Monday the doctor said we will see once and for all what is going on when they take sample from lungs.

Has anyone heard of something like this happening? so many scans not showing anything, only to find out it is lung cancer? I am extremely worried come monday after the procedure, that I am going to be diagnosed with LC. Any advice or info would be huge for my mental state. thanks

Hi there, and welcome.

Well, it sounds like SOMETHING is going on, but generally lung cancer causes no symptoms until it's so far advanced it would definitely show up on a scan.  I'm not a doctor, and I can't say it's impossible, but I've never heard of it.  It could be that you have a lung infection of some kind.  Hopefully the bronchoscopy will give you some answers so you can get appropriate treatment for whatever's causing your problems.

Let us know what you find out--good luck!

Worried,

I've not heard of 3 years of diagnostics, including CT scan(s), yielding nothing, then a biopsy revealing lung cancer.  

The duration of your chronic cough systems must be very difficult to endure and most of us have experienced bouts of coughing. Advice? While pretty common these days, ensure your doctor has the biopsy material sent for laboratory analysis if pathology visual exam reveals cancer to check for genetic markers.  I hope the biopsy is conclusive as to the cause of your symptoms and I really hope it is not lung cancer.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you guys for replying ! It has helped ease my mind some. 

I have been reading to many diagnosis horror stories, and these symptoms just wont quit. 

I will keep you guys informed on the outcome of my biopsy monday. Thank you

Hi.  I’m sorry you haven’t been feeling well. It’s stressful and exhausting.  Take this One step at a time. I hope this gets you closer to a diagnosis and treatment plan.  You’re doing the right thing by advocating for yourself.  Will pray for you to have peace and really hope for some “good” news.  

Archived