Couple of questions

TNChuck

Hey my mom had her first chemo treatment almost a couple weeks ago (Carboplatin and Keytruda and maybe something else) and for the most part she's doing fine; the fluid in between her lungs has decreased and besides one day she's not feeling too bad. However I was wondering if insomnia was one of the side effects since two out of the nights she couldn't sleep. Also was wondering if/when hair does fall out does it occur more with the second and third treatments (she's scheduled for 3 treatments every 3 weeks to start)?

II'm not sure about insomnia. Often steroids  are given along with chemo to help prevent side effects and steroids can definitely cause insomnia. Hair  tends to fall out starting about 3 weeks after the first chemo infusion.  Carboplatin generally doesn't cause hair loss, but if she's on a taxane (Taxol or Taxoterre) hair loss is pretty likely.

Chuck,

Welcome here.

During all my chemo, I had insomnia the for two nights after each infusion.  I think mine was caused by all the steroids I took in both pill and infusion form.  The steroids are used to help the body tolerate the chemo and they made me hyperactive and I couldn't sleep.

I had three cycles of Chemotherapy.  The first (6 infusions) was a weak concentration that was given in concert with radiation.  The second two cycles (6 infusions each cycle) were the full strength stuff.  Both times, my hair fell out right after my second infusion.  But, it grew back after each treatment ended.

Stay the course.

Tom

Chuck,

My mom received carbo+alimta and Keytruda for 6 sessions.  She did not lose her hair like her first bout of chemo.  It did thin quite a bit and is still thin - Keytruda alone can cause hair thinning.  In my mom's first bout with chemo, she started losing her hair at about week 3 and then we shaved it.  Her eyelashes fell out after chemo had stopped.  But once again, she did not lose all of her hair with chemo and Keytruda.

• 1 month later...

Cannabis is sometimes used for pain management of the side affects of chemo.  I am not aware of any studies proving it’s effectiveness as a cancer treatment.   

My husband did not really have insomnia but he did have hair loss...he was cisplatin and taxotere. His started to fall out right at the 3 week mark just before his 2nd round. His was also every 3 weeks. He had his final chemo on March 29th. His hair funnily enough, started to grow back in spots. so not he just has a little hair sticking up on his head. ;) Looks adorable. Hope this helps and sending lots of love and prayers to your mom. XX

In 2007 when I was doing chemo for St. 3 Colon cancer , I was given large doses of the glucocorticoid steroid Dexmethasone. On days 1 and 2 I could hardly sleep. I was wired.

In 2011 I was diagnosed Type 2 diabetic so that when I was starting Gemzar and Carboplatin in 2017 I resisted steroids as much as I could. I negotiated down to 8mg on Day1 . I had no insomnia at all. I believe that it is all in the quantity.

Hi, Chuck,

Just wanted to check in and see how you and your mom are doing. Please post an update when you can.

We are here for you.

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in, she's doing OK considering. She's started the second 4-month round of chemo every three weeks with Keytruda and another drug since they moved her off of the Carboplatin. Nothing has gotten worse and all the scans came back negative. She also had the bag collecting the fluid in her lungs removed and so far there's been no new fluid.

hello, did you guys ever considered using MMJ or CBD oils, Compounds in marijuana naturally relax your mind and body? The best weed for insomnia typically contains a high level of CBD. Research shows that marijuana can decrease the time it takes to fall asleep. It can also improve “deep wave” sleep cycles where we get the most rest. Trying medical marijuana strains for insomnia can help restore your natural brain chemistry. This may get you into a new routine, where falling asleep comes more easily. Just sharing have a nice day

Chuck- Glad to hear that treatment is effective and your mom is doing ok in spite of all that's going on!

Take Care,

Steff

Archived