Third round

Road bum

Hello,

As the title says I will be starting my third round of chemo Friday the 22nd.  My diagnosis was NSCLC adenocarcenoma. I had a wedge resection then Chemo and radiation in Sept. 2016. I was NED until May 2018 then my CT scan showed some uptake in the area where the first problem started. The new mass was small so my Onc started me on 4 cycles of Carbo, Alimta, and Keytruda with a unspecified continuation of the Keytruda. 8 months later CT, PET scan and a bronchoscopy with biopsy indicated the mass had grown almost 3 times the size it was in May. It was not conclusive about the adjoining lymph nodes but “it could be cancer”.So bottom line is the third round will start Friday the 22nd with Taxotere. Radiation can’t be used on my lungs because of the amount I received the first time around. Nothing has been said about more surgery. My attitude is good and I am anxious to get started and see if this round is mine.

Welcome here!

As Susan said: “recurrences suck.” I’ve had 4 after NED treatments. 

On the radiation point you bring up, I was told I couldn’t have a second dose of radiation because I’d already had 30 treatments of conventional radiation. But the radiation oncologist who directed my CyberKnife SBRT said he could plot a path that avoided the conventionally radiated area. I’d see a radiation oncologist who specializes in precision radiation to re-examine radiation treatment. 

I firmly believe attitude counts also and applaud yours!

Stay the course. 

Tom

Tom, my first radiation was targeted at the same area of the recurrence. Can’t do much about that because I had 33 massive doses. I had one heck of a sunburn and my throat was a mess for awhile.

Archived