CT Scans

Sharon L.

Hello. It’s been awhile since I have posted anything but last year was crazy I found out my health insurance from my employer had no contracts with any hospitals or free standing facilities so I have over $89,000 in medical bills in collection! My company has an attorney fighting this with the hospital and supposedly I won’t have to pay anything and at least it isn’t on my credit report for now but it’s very stressful knowing these bills are out there. I have still been having a lot of discomfort from my Vats surgery from 2/13/18. It’s very hard for me to sit at my desk at work all day and it’s causing my back to hurt because of the way I’m trying to sit to be comfortable so I started physical therapy this week to build my core hopefully it will help. I also started taking CBD oil and am still waiting to see if it’s going to help as this is only my 4th wk taking it. I’ve been having a lot of problems with my feet and it could be from my back so hopefully this therapy will also help my feet since I have set my minimum of walking to 5 miles a day.  I’m due for my follow up CT scans on Tuesday 2/19 so I’m praying everything is still clear. 

Hi Sharon

Thanks for checking in & providing an update!  I think it’s great you’re able to walk 5 miles!  That’s awesome!!  

In my working life, I was with the “dark side” of health insurance.  It’s horrible to learn about your situation & all the worry about the potential financial impact.  It sounds to me as if your employer has a “insurance” program that is not compliant with the Affordable Care Act, otherwise they would have hospitals in their network in accordance with federal law.  It makes perfect sense that they’ve hired the attorney.  I totally get the fear about financial impact as I only have a few thousand dollars in denied claims & am up to my eyeballs in appeal forms! 

If it would bring you some peace of mind here are some things you can do as a potential Plan B.  

One of my LC pals ( a working professional) had over $100k in bills which ultimately qualified her for hospital “charity care” programs.  The social workers know the ins & outs of these services. 

You might want to consult with Legal Aid in your community for a free consultation to understand your options. 

I would also consider calling your US congressional representatives.  My mother makes good use of them in advocating for my disabled brother.  

Try not to worry too much about this & stay focused on your recovery.  Will pray for a solution for you Sharon. 

Michelle

9 hours ago, Rower Michelle said:

Hi Sharon

Thanks for checking in & providing an update!  I think it’s great you’re able to walk 5 miles!  That’s awesome!!  

In my working life, I was with the “dark side” of health insurance.  It’s horrible to learn about your situation & all the worry about the potential financial impact.  It sounds to me as if your employer has a “insurance” program that is not compliant with the Affordable Care Act, otherwise they would have hospitals in their network in accordance with federal law.  It makes perfect sense that they’ve hired the attorney.  I totally get the fear about financial impact as I only have a few thousand dollars in denied claims & am up to my eyeballs in appeal forms! 

If it would bring you some peace of mind here are some things you can do as a potential Plan B.  

One of my LC pals ( a working professional) had over $100k in bills which ultimately qualified her for hospital “charity care” programs.  The social workers know the ins & outs of these services. 

You might want to consult with Legal Aid in your community for a free consultation to understand your options. 

I would also consider calling your US congressional representatives.  My mother makes good use of them in advocating for my disabled brother.  

Try not to worry too much about this & stay focused on your recovery.  Will pray for a solution for you Sharon. 

Michelle

Thank you, Michelle I definitely will be checking on this insurance with the information you provided and thanks for the prayers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 11:39 PM, Sharon L. said:

Hello. It’s been awhile since I have posted anything but last year was crazy I found out my health insurance from my employer had no contracts with any hospitals or free standing facilities so I have over $89,000 in medical bills in collection! My company has an attorney fighting this with the hospital and supposedly I won’t have to pay anything and at least it isn’t on my credit report for now but it’s very stressful knowing these bills are out there. I have still been having a lot of discomfort from my Vats surgery from 2/13/18. It’s very hard for me to sit at my desk at work all day and it’s causing my back to hurt because of the way I’m trying to sit to be comfortable so I started physical therapy this week to build my core hopefully it will help. I also started taking CBD oil and am still waiting to see if it’s going to help as this is only my 4th wk taking it. I’ve been having a lot of problems with my feet and it could be from my back so hopefully this therapy will also help my feet since I have set my minimum of walking to 5 miles a day.  I’m due for my follow up CT scans on Tuesday 2/19 so I’m praying everything is still clear. 

Got my ct scans back NED and as of 2/13/19 I am celebrating my 1st year cancer free!! Praise the Lord!!

Archived