Persistent Coughing after Lung Surgery

Fifi

Hi all, my 80-year old mom just went through lobectomy of the lower lobe right lung in early Jan 2019 and has had a persistent cough till today. Read in the internet that it is perfectly normal but the cough has been very unbearable for her. Very itchy and non stop coughing. Any tips how to make the cough go away?

Also, She is tested for EGFR positive and is recommended to take Tagrisso as a targeted therapy for her. Any side effects that you have seen for this drug? We as a family are still deciding whether to let her start this treatment considering her age and also the side effects, considering the resistance after some time as well, but dilemma is we are afraid cancer will spread to other areas as well. Is Tagrisso recommended for elderly cancer patients? Thanks.

Hi Fifi and welcome. Is your mom getting any medication for the coughing? I found benzonatate (also called Tessalon Perles) very effective and not sedating. It's a prescription drug. There are some members on these forums who have had Tagrisso. You'll probably be hearing from some of them. If you haven't seen it already, I suggest you look at the EFGR forum.  You'll find some posts about Tagrisso there.

Bridget O

• 1 month later...

Hi, Fifi,

We just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. Please post an update when you can.

We are here for you,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived