Jump to content

No.1 down and Counting

Road bum

Recommended Posts

I had my first round of taxotere on Feb. 22. Had a serious flush on my face and chest 

Saturday morning.

My peripheral neuropathy was really kicking in by Sat. evening and my ankles were starting to ache. I didn’t sleep very much Sat. night. Sunday morning was a whole new experience. I woke up about 4:30 with the bones in my feet and ankles absolutely screaming. It progressed up the long bones in my legs to my knees. It felt like  bones and joints were cracking to the beat of my heart. That continued to my knees. The pain was a solid 7 and some times an 8 on the pain scale. I called my after hours number and within an hour my medication was ready at the pharmacy. At this point I may have over medicated just a little but I slept all night. My wife said my legs moved around a lot and I rubbed my feet together almost all night. Monday morning I only had to take 2 pain pills all day and it was very tolerable.Had a lot more trouble with the neuropathy all this past week, but it was doable. 

I woke up this Thursday morning and by the time I got dressed my energy for the day was gone.

Friday morning I had my appointment with my oncologist and as usual they did a full spectrum blood test. This is one of the things I really appreciate at the Montgomery Cancer Center. Every time I have a treatment or a doc’s visit they do the blood work. Took maybe 15 min. for me to get into see my doctor. I have never waited more than 20 minutes on any appointment I have had there.

Doc had the blood work completed and in her hand when she walked into the room. I have never been made to feel rushed while I have been there and this center serves almost all of southern Alabama. It is always busy there. Anyway pompoms down.

Doc brought in a 2 copy’s of my blood work and and we went over it. My WBC count is down to 1.2. So she is going to work up some other options and if the blood work is the same on the 13th she will tweak my treatment some.

I’m really tired and I have a couple of sores in my mouth and a sore throat. I’m using Magic Mouthwash. Why didn’t somebody warn me😳that is the nastiest stuff I have ever had in my mouth. If it didn’t work so well I would burn the stuff so no one else couldn’t use it.

So, some side effects but nothing I can’t handle.

The journey continues with all occupants safe in the boat.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

For mouth sores, it was suggested I gargle/ rinse my mouth with 1 tsp. baking soda with warm water.... 3 times a day.   Also, friends who have gone through treatment suggested I sip on a very cold drink...like a slushy during chemo.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magic mouthwash didn't help me as radiation burned my esophaghus. However, sucking on menthol sore throat drops helped.  Prevention Oncology Mouth Rinse from Amazon.com helped. Get Biotene dry mouth rinse for night time....cancer treatment attacks our teeth health.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Susan. I just hope it doesn’t get any worse.  I’m not sure I can be that tough very often.

Also thank you Laurel for your suggestions. I am sure they will come in handy.


Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.