1st Post-Op CT Scan Test Results... So Sad

ColleenRae

17 hours ago, LexieCat said:

This sounds to me like ALL good news.  I doubt any slight heart murmur you have is related to your surgery--I've never heard of that being a result of this kind of surgery.  You probably want to consult a cardiologist, but many heart murmurs are harmless.  

I don't think "remission" is the correct term, exactly.  Your cancer has been removed.  If you had a cancerous mole removed you wouldn't say you were "in remission" from skin cancer. Surgery is considered a curative treatment, so there's a good chance you ARE cured.  I tell people I HAD lung cancer, but that it was surgically removed at an early stage, and so far, I'm fine.  As far as I know, I'll continue to be fine.

I'd suggest maybe consulting with either a medical oncologist (since you don't feel like your surgeon was very responsive) or a pulmonologist in terms of getting another opinion about following up on the nodule.  As I said before, I'd take the opinion of a cancer surgeon, oncologist, or pulmonologist over that of a radiologist.  

Once again, thank you Terri.  I think I was really stumbling over how to define where I was in all of this... I will borrow your phraseology ("HAD" lung cancer... as far as I know, I'm fine... etc.). That works for me!

Yes. - seeing my PCP this week and he will refer to cardiology.

Seeing my local pulmonologist in May and I will get his two bits re: when to scan again as I'm still leaning towards a 6 month check - at least for now.  I'm learning in all of this.  Next scan, hopefully, I won't react or read the radiologist's impression but wait to find out what the surgeon or pulmonologist have to say first. For now  I have a one year follow-up scheduled with my surgeon  where I will get the CT 30 minutes before I see him, so he can give the results immediately.

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Those sound like positive results.  I had the same procedure three weeks ago.  My surgeon DID say that a heart murmur was a possible side affect.  He said it’s rare but it does happen. I was told they often clear up on their own and if they didn’t they could prescribe medication for it.  

Thank you, Curt.  Your comments are appreciated!  I was informed that arrhythmia might develop following lobectomy, but did not hear about the possibility of a heart murmur, so thanks for sharing. Have been reading / catching up on posts... Hope you are doing well... Thank you.

17 hours ago, Tom Galli said:

Colleen,

I like Lexie’s chacterization: nodule, removed, done, cured. In my case with 4 recurrences, NED is a more precise term. So grab good news anytime you can. 

To your new heart murmur, why delve into a cause and effect analysis. If you have one, see a cardiologist to confirm and if necessary treat. 

I see nothing but good news from your consultation. Celebrate!

Stay the course. 

Tom

Thank you, Tom... I agree whole heartedly.  I think I'm just reluctant to accept good news (yes, crazy!) but I'm inching in that direction :-)  It's good for now and what's happening right now is really what's important.

Heart murmur... Will look into as you say to confirm and treat. Analysis... that's a hard one for me NOT to do. My whole educational / work life has been based on analysis of cause and effect. It's in my nature! :-) 

Thanks for your posts and continued support. Always appreciated.

Colleen- 

This is such great news.  There’s a debate at my hospital patient advisorary board about releasing results to patients before appointments.  The survey outcomes are really mixed. For me personally I don’t want to look at the CT results until the whole doctor chain has signed off.  Others prefer to know right away.  For now our hospital will not release results until the doc reviews.  I’m so sorry about the angst you felt after you received the report.  Now take a minute to celebrate this wonderful milestone.  So awesome! 

Michelle

Thank you, Michelle.

I agree - I don't think results should be released to patients prior to appointments. Knowing how I felt, I can see how this could potentially be a bit dangerous.

Yes, this is a milestone to celebrate. But I also know I'm in this for life now. This changed my life in so many ways. Thank you for all of your support :-)

Just an update... I had the echocardiogram this past week. Dr.'s office called and left me a message late Friday afternoon saying it all looked fine but to see a cardiologist 1x per year... My Dr. is on vacation all next week, but I'll be seeing him the following week to discuss the echo results.  More good news it seems... I can hardly handle this, I've been so "prepared" for bad news! So, I'll agree with Tom again... I'll grab good news whenever I can.  Feeling grateful (but still wary!).  Love to all of you.

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Great newspaper Colleen.  Grateful but wary is a feeling I can relate to.  

Thank you, Curt (I reached my "like's" limit today!)

I'm glad you could relate to / share in my feelings regarding this :-)

Archived