Seeing children after lobectomy

Ld1978

Hi all

as my may of seen my dad has just had a vats lobectomy and currently having surgical emphysema. Things look to be improving but the consultant today so no mixing with people once home especially not little people.

The issue here is my parents look after my kids while I work. I’ve not been able to find any local childcare but my mum said she will be able to come and do it still. We definitely can’t risk him catching infection (my kids are 2 and 5) so he would stay home (which I know is going to be awful for him as they are the one thing that keep him going) she said a couple of months. What are people’s experiences? Also how does it work in the sense that she said no trains or pubs etc yet we are going on trains being with kids etc and then seeing him. How did people manage post op and for how long? Thanks so much 

Ld,

You are receiving good and practical advice for your dad’s recovery from a lobectomy. 

After my pneumonectomy, a well intentioned neighbor with children stopped for a visit and I was soon back in the hospital with a fever and pneumonia. My coughing likely ruptured sutures that sent me on a downward spiral of thoracic surgery. 

How long should he isolate? When he can cough deeply, without the slightest hint of pain, may be a good time to return to normal activities. But, I’d put the question to the doctor. 

You don’t want to go this far down the treatment path to have it undone by a trip to the pub. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

I agree with Tom.  As long as he's fully recovered from his surgery (just a few weeks, most likely) and not receiving chemo (which lowers one's immune system) then he should be fine in terms of being around kids, out and about, etc.  I have had I think one bad cold since my surgery and it was really no different post-surgery than it was before.  Not pleasant, felt like crap, but no special problem/danger as a result of the surgery.

I am glad to hear dad is doing better.  Going home after surgery was scary for me.  I couldn’t wait to do it but I was nervous just the same. I am one week  post op from a lobectomy.  I have tried to stay as quarantined as possible.  I’ve limited visitors to just those caring for me (wife and mom) and have not left the house.   That said I have three small children; 10, 8 and 6.  My wife is also a kindergarten teacher so it’s a house full of “carriers”.  My options were to recover somewhere other than home or for us to just do the best we could to keep me isolated.  The first few days I didn’t leave the bedroom and my kids didn’t come in my bedroom.  As I got stronger and there was no signs of illness on their end I’ve started to venture out.  I still limit my contact with them. I would recommend trying to keep your dad as isolated as possible.  A chest cold right now is the last thing he would want to go through.  If complete isolation isn’t possible than maybe just quarantining a portion of the house off.  For anyone venturing out use good habits; hand washing, antibacterial soap, as sterile an environment as possible (sanitize his area as often as possible), changing your clothes when you get home, keep the hugs and kisses to a minimum, clean sheets and towels.  You can also pick up surgical masks for anyone going in the room.  I think Tom’s estimate is a good one.  He should avoid getting any illnesses for as long as possible but certainly until he is healthy enough to fight it off without causing any setbacks on his recovery.  That is different for everyone.  

Thanks everyone and I completely agree. The surgeon did say 2 months which seems like quite a long time. Her registrar said a couple of weeks and to have some cleaner and sanitise well just like you mentioned. I am a bit ocd with that and have hospital grade cleaner for when the kids are ill. They live on their own but I was also wondering about my mum caring for the kids and being a carer in the community too. 

Sorry to hear you were poorly Tom we defintely don’t want that happening to him. Hope your ok now.

thanks for the advice - he can stay at home and just chat to the kids on the iPad and mum will have to be careful when she comes here to look after them. 

Hopefully now we are going into spring there will be less going about.

my Mum said the worse germs are in hospital ha ha 

Archived