Medical Marijuana

Claudia

Hi Fellow Warriors,

Is anyone knowledgable about using Medical Marijuana to help with side effects? I live in Florida and it is legal for medical use.  My oncologist is ok with it as long as I don't smoke it (duh). I am not only fighting lung cancer I am also in pain 24/7 from an arthritic shoulder. Thats how I found out about my condition. It showed up in my pre-op tests. Anyway as I am starting Chemo tomorrow I'm wondering if edible MM has helped anyone here with nausea and sleeping issues. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Claudia

Hi Claudia

You might want to read the post under NSCLC “swollen lymph node should I worry?”   On the January 19th post Tom writes about his formula for CBD/THC.  

Hope it helps!

Michelle

I know that 30 years ago, my mom, who had chemo for breast cancer and was RABIDLY anti-smoking and anti-marijuana, told me that if marijuana were legal and it would help her chemo nausea, she'd take it up.  

I think it's pretty widely recognized by now that it can provide relief from some of the side effects.  What's more controversial is whether it (or derived products) does any good in terms of fighting cancer itself.  I don't think there's any good research to support that proposition.

Just remember, if you decide to take it, that it can also affect your judgment and skills/reflexes--i.e., don't drive under the influence.  And I think you also want to be sure you are using known reliable products (i.e., not something your kid brought home from college that she bought from somebody in the dorm).

I believe that medical marijuana has a limited amount of THC (the part that gets you high) and more CBD “Cannabidiol”, the part that helps with pain.  I have friends who are successfully treating chronic pain with CBD oil. It is definelty important to consult with your doctors to make sure there are no potential negative interactions with your treatment and MM.   

I think "Medical Marijuana" is a term that means different things in different contexts  and to different people. In Oregon, where I live, marijuana was for many years legal only for those who had a Medical Marijuana Card, available to those who had certain conditions as certified by a physician Now  recreational marijuana is legal here , but those with the Medical Marijuana Card  can buy larger amounts and have sales tax advantages.  So there is/was a legal definition.

For some people, "medical marijuana"  means that "I'm using it for some [allegedly] legit purpose and not to get high".  Curt is right that THC is the part that gets you high and  CBD doesn't, and may help with pain. But the term  "medical marijuana"  doesn't necessarily reflect the pecentages of the two substances. In Oregon, at least, all marijuana sold legally ("medical" or 'recreational" ) is laboratory tested by batch and labeled showing the percentages of THC and CBD.    Extracts that have CBD only and no THC are not considered "marijuana" (at least by some). These may be legal where "marijuana" is not. CAVEAT: don't take my word for it, check it out locally.  Some CBD products are made from industrial hemp (which is not marijuana) and I think some also comes from other plant sources.  In Oregon, products with no THC are sold in CBD shops, while anything with THC is legally sold only in licensed marijuans ahops.. Also CBD can be included in some drinks or food sold in other places. 

If you're thinking of using marijuana (or CBD) medically, it's important to educate yourself, and to know what you're getting, as well as to check it out with your doctor.

Thank you all of your informed replys. We do have legal medical marijuana here in Fl and I have already checked it out with my Dr. He is just fine with it however I want to use it. I have terrible shoulder pain from the arthritis that brought me to my diagnosis of LC and I have been using it for pain. I make my own homemade brownies that I only eat before I go to sleep to help me with the shoulder pain at night and wow it really works. Helps me sleep too. Doc said I could double my dose if I want. LOL I appreciate all of your help. You guys are the best.

Health and happiness,

Claudia

My post won't be helpful, but like Lexie, my mom also had breast cancer (over 40 years ago!). I was away at college but remember her calling and telling me how nauseated she was from chemo.  She confided that a friend of hers (who owned a record store / a real rock 'n roller!) "brought me a bag of Columbian!" and left her some pre-rolled joints. I cannot tell you what an image this conjured in my mind and how funny it was at the time to hear my mother talk about the brand of pot she had... she always was one of those impressed by labels!) I was happy for her if she found it helpful.  My dad had already left for work and she had taken my siblings to school. She had her first experience with marijuana - she said she got "pretty loopy" (her words) but it really helped with her nausea.  She did not tell my Dad about the "gift of pot" and when he came home unexpectedly one day for lunch, she quickly dumped the bag into the toilet.  She was terrified over how he might react. That was her "confession" to me...!  I am glad that if this is a source of relief for individuals that it is legal in so many places and becoming more accepted. 

• 1 month later...

Alternative medicine is more accepted nowadays due to its promising results unlike pharmaceutical medicine, alternative medicine doesn’t give a negative effect such as kidney and liver problems when it comes to long term use. As for my alternative medicine usage, I use medical marijuana. The different strain has a variety of uses and effects depending on your needs. Like this marijuana strain (edited).This strain has a very potent effect on chronic pains like back pain and joint pain and a lot more.  The benefits of marijuana, specifically the CBD cannabinoid, are undeniable. Let's take a look at all of the ways CBD is helping patients every day.

• 3 weeks later...

It absolutely helps. Relieves minor nausea and turns it into hunger!  

Archived