Time for Pet Scan

PaulaC

I looked for info re the difference between CT and PET scans for surveillance after treatment and found a recent article that says in one study of patients who have been treated with curative intent, PET scans did not improve overall survival over CT scans.  While the PET scans did detect recurrence a bit sooner, it didn't make any difference in the overall outcomes.  https://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(17)30170-0/pdf  And here's one more article about imaging as part of post-treatment surveillance: https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201607-543ED

I suppose it may be different when you are talking about folks with more advanced cancers or who have already had a recurrence, where there is more likelihood of metastasis.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my way thanks guys and Terri that’s interesting about CT and PET scans.  I didn’t have time to read the articles but will when I’m done. I do remember the doctor saying something about scar tissue and CT scan but don’t remember the reason he brought it up. 

I can see where that might make sense--you had radiation, so maybe the scar tissue from that makes it harder for a CT scan to see any changes?  

Whatever--I have a feeling you're gonna get a great result.

I’m sure you will be getting good news. I go for my post chemo/radiation on the 4th and I’m already anxious. Then wait a week.

13 hours ago, Barb1260 said:

I’m sure you will be getting good news. I go for my post chemo/radiation on the 4th and I’m already anxious. Then wait a week.

We will get results about the same time. I’ve tried to schedule a lot next week to help me not think about it. We got this!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi girls! Positive vibes for tomorrow Barb and you to Michelle!

I’m doing pretty good waiting staying busy with spring cleaning. I think it’ll bother me more this weekend but hoping not.  

Let the waiting begin. But I’ll get the results on the computer before I get to the appointment on the 11th. I hate that they do that but curiosity gets the better of me. 

Just got home from oncologist and great results. The scan looks clear with exception of a spot on my vertebra that’s been showing on scans but doesn’t show up on bone scan. Dr thinks it’s scar tissue but will continue monitoring it. 

Im free for the summer! Next scan in October. 

Congratulations Paula!!!

I am sure this was great news to receive... How could it not be?!  Thank you for sharing this with us - it's encouraging and let's us be there for one another!

Yes,  you are "free" for the summer - that's the attitude to take! Enjoy it to the fullest!

Very happy for you.

Archived