Jump to content

Possible metastasis


afeldman43

Recommended Posts

Hi, my mother in law was diagnosed with Stage 3 NSCLC last October; she had an MRI that was inconclusive that she may have a tumor on her cranium (after a clear PET scan in January that showed the original tumors had shrunk substantially after chemo and radiation).  She's currently on durvalumab.  I know that bone tumors can be treated with targeted radiation, but understand that metastasis would indicate Stage IV and severely impact her options and survival rate.  I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what the next steps may be - clinical trials, etc.   Since she's already on immunotherapy seems like there isn't much more to do.  We're all in a bit of shock - we had hoped for a bit more time before there'd be any metastasis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m so sorry to read your update.  Lung Cancer is sneaky & it sucks.  Did your MIL have biomarker testing on the tumor?  That will drive the treatment plan & next steps.  Bone mets are treatable with today’s advances and as a result the survivorship rates is extending.  

As for clinical trials- the oncology team will be able to help make that assessment.  Clinic trials have many requirements & are only recommended if there is a clear potential benefit. 

Have faith in your MIL & her treatment treatment team.  Some people opt to get a second opinion if there is progression.  

Hold onto your hope!

Michelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Michelle. 

She's had biomarker on her lung cancer and has KRAS along with high PDL-1.  She's on durvamulab.  The bone tumor is in her temporal bone - location means it can't be biopsied - and she underwent Gamma Knife radiation yesterday to stop tumor growth, hopefully shrink it and reduce symptoms.   So far her oncologist is hopeful it's a one-off metastasis but we'll know more when she gets results of a follow up PET scan by next Tuesday.  Sounds like they want to keep her on durvamulab and fingers crossed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good plan. The immunotherapy should work wonders with a high PDL-1.  If you check out the header for immunotherapy there is a pretty lengthy & informative thread on Durva.  Let us know how the PET scan goes.  Hang in there! 

Michelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Michelle.  The PET scan showed another small tumor on her L4 lumbar.  She's having that treated with radiation though it takes a couple weeks to plan it using an MRI.   She also had some lung inflammation where the lung tumor had been so she's also seeing a pulmonologist to make sure that's related to the radiation treatment and not caused by the Durva.  In the meantime she's holding off 1-2 weeks on Durva.   Her oncologist didn't want to weigh in on how this changes her prognosis but we understand that given the metastasis that would mean Stage 4 and that it is likely she's now dealing with chronic treatment of new tumors. They're hopeful once these bone tumors are zapped that the Durva will help prevent more and won't speculate.  My mother in law is pretty depressed.  Any positive stories I can share of course would be great!  We're trying to do what we can to be positive, spend good times together...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.