Introducing myself

Pessa

Hello,

I was diagnosed with stage 1B 5 1/2 yrs ago and had a R upper lobectomy.  2 yrs later I had a R middle lobectomy due to progression.  2 years later I started on Tagrisso and have been on it for one year.  I had my every 3 month CT yesterday and just learned that there has been no change in the existing 2 lung nodules and nothing new has developed.  Hoping this continues, of course.  I am dealing with the side effects fairly well.  I just retired from my job 3 days ago, after working for 30 yrs.  I had planned to work 2 more years (I am 67) but am too tired from the treatment I had and am getting and working was getting too difficult.  Retirement, so far, is just fine!

Hope to get to know others here.

Pessa   

Just wanted to add that, unfortunately, this is my 3rd primary cancer.  I had melanoma 25 years ago.  Area on my leg was removed and no recurrence.  I had breast cancer 8 years ago.  Had a bilateral mastectomy and chemo therapy and am on year 8 of an anti-hormonal medication.  And then the lung cancer, diagnosed 5 years ago.  Bad genes but I am surviving all!

Hi Pessa.  Welcome.  I just had a RUL Lobectomy six weeks ago.  I am currently NED with six month CT’s going forward.  You’ve certainly had your battles with cancer.  I’m glad to hear this one is going well.  Tagrisso is standard protocol for progressed NSCLC with EGFR mutations.  I’m also a “Mutant” with an EGFR exon 19 del.  Have you ever had germline genetic testing to see if you actually have any of those “bad genes”.   I am in process of doing that.  I’m hoping to get my results back soon.  Won’t make much of a difference for me, but may make a difference for my family in the future.   

Hi Pessa!

Firstly, congratulations on your retirement! I am sorry it did not come on your terms/plan, but I'm sure you will enjoy anyway!

It looks like you have been through the wringer, cancer-wise.  I'm glad you are here to share your stories of survivorship!  

There aren't a lot of folks on this forum who have had 2 lobectomies.  As new members come to grips with facing this scary procedure, I am sure you will be able to share a lot of wisdom with them.  I'm glad you found us!

Take Care,

Steff

Hi Pessa and welcome! I too am a 3-cancer dancer. Breast cancer (stage 1) in 2008, clear cell cervical/endometrial (3c) in 2011- a really hard one,  and NSCLC in 2016 (1a). I had a lobectomy.  I'm currently NED on all 3 cancers. I had germline genetic testing and learned I had a Variant of Unknown Sgnificance (VUS) , an STK 11 mutation. I agree with Curt's suggestion that you consider this testing. Besides being of possible significance for family members, It could also tell you whether you're at increased risk of other cancers so you know what to watch out for.  

Bridget O

Hi, Pessa,

Welcome to LCSC. My name is Lauren and I'm the Digital Community Manager for LUNGevity Foundation.

I'm glad to see that you've already connected with a few of our members. This community is a great place to find information and support. Please feel free to explore the message boards and blogs, ask questions, and join the ongoing conversations.

In addition to these forums, LUNGevity also has a robust Lung Cancer 101 website, free patient educational materials, a Survivor and Caregiver Resource Center, peer-to-peer support programs,  a toll-free Lung Cancer Helpline, survivorship conferences, and lunch and learn events. You can explore more here: https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers

Please let me know if you'd like any additional information about LUNGevity's Support & Survivorship Programs. 

We are here for you!

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Lauren Humphries
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Archived