New Dx of COPD

eric byrne

Good Morning Everyone from Scotland,

Well 10 and a half years of surviving Lung Cancer and enjoying good health throughout,over the last few months I noticed I was getting a wee bit more breathless than usual,i did consider my lack of fitness and a bit overweight,so i have taken out a gym membership and going at it full steam ahead.However during a  routine check up at my Docs he noticed my lips were a bit of a blue colour,so I was referred for a sprirometry test.Result a new dx of COPD,drat,I did smoke small cigars prior to my LC dx but have not smoked since.Tuesday I started taking inhalers and this has made quite a difference already.So if any of my friends here can share any advice or insights into COPD it would be much appreciated.Enjoy the Easter break everyone. 

Ooops Folks,I dont know why this appears in Just for Fun? seems i have forgotten how to post appropriately as COPD is definately not fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Eric

I am not sure if you posted this elsewhere but I will reply here and a Moderator can move it.

I was very active and played alot of sports until I had a Lobectomy and my Upper left lobe removed. Shortly after that I was diagnosed with COPD. I certainly cannot play sports anymore but do remain quite active. I am my own worst enemy by not taking the inhalers on a regular basis but do the take as required approach. I find that if it is a prolonged physical activity I get out of breath very quickly. If I was a racehorse they would say that I am good out of the gate but not much for stamina. So hang in there old friend but take your inhalers regularly and they tell me it makes a big difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,Its brilliant to hear from you again,we both are still in the land of the living.Sorry to hear we both share COPD.Reading up on COPD left me feeling so down,however to react positively I am attending a gym 3 to 4 times a week,drinking a couple of litres of water daily,stopped drinking alcohol,well apart from the odd beer or glass of wine with a meal.My weight was 15 stone a few weeks ago,I have now lost 10lbs,my target is 13 stone.I am religious in taking my inhalers,the two puffs in the morning for the all day one,the other I carry about with me,the disc shaped one you can use in public without the use of a spacer.How long is it since your COPD dx?

Best Wishes old friend,love to hear from you again,perhaps we can exchange phone number or email addresses?

Eric Byrne.

I was diagnosed with COPD maybe 6 months after my Lobectomy so over 11 years ago. I think you will certainly find it better by taking the inhalers on a regular basis. I get lots of exercise with owning a hobby farm so I don't go to a gym. Just had a stress test for my heart and the Doctor told me to keep doing what I am doing because everything looks good.

For sure would be great to exchange email/phone numbers with you. Been friends on here for a long time

I was diagnosed with COPD maybe 6 months after my Lobectomy so over 11 years ago. I think you will certainly find it better by taking the inhalers on a regular basis. I get lots of exercise with owning a hobby farm so I don't go to a gym. Just had a stress test for my heart and the Doctor told me to keep doing what I am doing because everything looks good.

For sure would be great to exchange email/phone numbers with you. Been friends on here for a long time. It tried messaging you the information but I got a reply saying that you cannot receive messages. Maybe Kate or one of the other moderators can assist.

Hi Bruce I put my email address in your profile, however I dont see any problem in repeating it here?

eric_byrne49@outlook.com

my mobile is 07925885931

I did make a mistake in searching out COPD chat sites,one in the UK and one in the USA,some positive contributions from individuals,however some I would have preferred not to have read,so I have deleted them all.Reading your success with COPD has certainly lifted me.as I have been anxious about my future following my recent dx in March.I have been doing everything by the book,drinking loads of water,gym 3 to 4 times a week,cutting down on food and virtually no alcohol.My aim is to lose some further pounds down to 13 stones,perhaps then even a bit more.Thank you for taking the time to reply to me,it has helped me no end.

Eric.

Archived