Hello from England my name is Johnny

Hi all,

Just a quick message to say that I was a lung cancer sufferer and had my left lung removed last October, I struggle with my breathing now but I’ve pushed  myself every day to do walking and now cycling.

I don’t go far but I wait and listen to my body to tell me when to stop.

If there’s anyone else out there that’s going through this, they want to know my story, or I’d like to hear yours of how you’ve  improved your  breathing function and mobility. 

all the very best 

Johnny Black

Hi Johnny.  I had an upper right lobe lobectomy three mo the ago.  I am very focused on regaining my lung capacity.  It’s been slow but I’m getting there.  

Hi Johnny,

I think Curt and are just a couple of weeks apart on surgery.  I am determined to increase my cardio and endurance.  I started playing tennis a couple of days a week - no matches just yet.  I definitely notice the difference in my breathing and limitations.  I was just saying that I should go for a series of lessons to further develop my skill so I won't have to run so much!   It's getting a little better each week.  I've added  intervals...1 minute walk, 1 minute run  for 2 miles on the days I'm not playing tennis.  I started a free weights class 2 times a week.  At this point, I am just so happy that I can do all of these things.  My surgeon told me that after 12 weeks I should be back to normal (not sure what the new normal will be).  So, since it's been 9 weeks tomorrow, I still have 3 weeks to go.  

15 hours ago, Curt said:

Hi Johnny.  I had an upper right lobe lobectomy three mo the ago.  I am very focused on regaining my lung capacity.  It’s been slow but I’m getting there.  

I think as I’m 59 and the whole of my left lung has been taken, I should understand it will be a slow process. I’ve many problems twisting and bending and my surgeon has intimated that he might have to do some corrective surgery in a couple of years. My right lung has expanded and it is pushing on my tracea which has its own complications. Hey ho I’m still here 😊

15 hours ago, Deb W said:

Hi Johnny,

I think Curt and are just a couple of weeks apart on surgery.  I am determined to increase my cardio and endurance.  I started playing tennis a couple of days a week - no matches just yet.  I definitely notice the difference in my breathing and limitations.  I was just saying that I should go for a series of lessons to further develop my skill so I won't have to run so much!   It's getting a little better each week.  I've added  intervals...1 minute walk, 1 minute run  for 2 miles on the days I'm not playing tennis.  I started a free weights class 2 times a week.  At this point, I am just so happy that I can do all of these things.  My surgeon told me that after 12 weeks I should be back to normal (not sure what the new normal will be).  So, since it's been 9 weeks tomorrow, I still have 3 weeks to go.  

What surgery did you have, that’s amazing that you can do all that, did you have keyhole? They had to go in through my back as there were many complications ☹️

Hope you keep recovering well 😊

Hi Johnny,

I hope things get better for you. I had a open lobectomy of the upper left lung in Oct 2018. I’m not sure my situation is the same because I still have the smaller portion of my left lung. I do still have numbness and weird feelings under my ribs on the left side. My breathing is getting better but it’s weird I really hear air breathing in and out which I don’t remember doing before. 

I started off trying to reach 5000 steps a day and increased to 10000. I’m now doing the program c25k with hopes of just getting through it. I’ve gotten to week 5 and started over. I guess I’m trying to say keep pushing yourself but don’t overdo it. I just want to get some of my strength back th I lost with radiation, chemo and surgery. 

Take Care

Paula

Johnny I had VATS “keyhole” surgery.  It sounds like you had a thoractomy or open lobectomy surgery.  Thoractomy surgery has a longer recovery time and the potential for more issues longer term.  I like you perspective though.  Hey ho we are still here!      

Johnny,  I had  VATS robotic surgery - lobectomy.  They removed 1/3 of the upper left lobe - stage 1B.  I also had a wedge resection on the lower left lobe that turned out to be in situ cancer - stage 0.  I had an air leak which caused some discomfort.   Other than that, no complications so healing might be different for you.  Just try to be patient with yourself.   I still have numbness on the left side of my chest and sometimes it's painful.  I think it might be scar tissue. 

Paula - I still hear air when I am breathing deep or talking for an extended period of time.  I never had that before either.  I'm wondering if it will go away with time.

A thoracic surgeon  told me that we only use 22% of our lungs.  I didn't fact check that, but that's what she told me.  

Archived