3 days of chemo?

Blossomsmom

My Mom (who will be 90 on Monday) was originally diagnosed (on 3/28) with extensive SCLC. She has had 2 treatments of Carboplatin & tecentriq. Her 3rd treatment coming up on Tuesday was to be Carbo, tecentriq & a 3rd chemo drug to be determined. Oncologist said yesterday that further testing shows my mom has a combo of SCLC and NSCLC but that doesn’t really change anything as far as treatment, prognosis etc. But later in the day, Doctors office called and told my mom that they were changing her chemo to not only Tuesday but adding Wednesday & Thursday as well. When my mom told me this today and I asked her why, she said she didn’t ask. She’s not into the details. I however am so it’s a little frustrating, ok, it’s REALLY frustrating, but that’s my problem not hers. So, my question is, why would Chemo/immunotherapy take 3 days? I have to assume it has something to do with the 3rd drug they will give her. Is this “normal”? As usual Doctor Google doesn’t have much current info.

My wife just went through 4 rounds of chemo plus Tecentriq. Each round was Day 1 - Tecentriq + Carboplatin + Etoposide. Day 2 - Etoposide  Day 3 - Etoposide. This is the new standard for first line treatment of Extensive Stage SCLC. Maybe this is what they are using for your mom.

Tomk389, I’m sorry your wife is fighting this beast. It’s so hard to see someone you love face the many challenges it presents. And thank you for your reply, it makes more sense to me now. Can you tell me what the reasoning is behind splitting the Etoposide into 3 doses? I’m thinking it’s most likely to toxic to do it all at once?

On 5/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, Tomk389 said:

My wife just went through 4 rounds of chemo plus Tecentriq. Each round was Day 1 - Tecentriq + Carboplatin + Etoposide. Day 2 - Etoposide  Day 3 - Etoposide. This is the new standard for first line treatment of Extensive Stage SCLC. Maybe this is what they are using for your mom.

Hi Tom, my mom is having the exact same thing. Etoposide being the new drug for her. She had her first treatment with all three today. So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed for no side effects while it’s beating the beast back!

Archived