Barb1260

Chest x-ray comment help!!!

My pulmonologist did a chest X-ray to check on my past Pneumonitis and the report read tumor no longer discrete. He didn’t mention anything at the visit when he looked at the pics. I don’t see the onc until tomorrow and am kind of freaking out that this means it’s growing. Can somebody please explain?  Can this be because of the treatments?

From my understanding, and I am not an oncologist or radiologist, is that discreet can mean anything- most likely it's used to describe something that they are unsure of..a lump, nodule or mass that they don't know is benign or malignant.  

Maybe that means your tumor is no longer discrete because they have identified what it is?  

Hopeful thinking for you-

KatieB

Hey, Barb,

from what I've heard: in the medical realm, "discrete" means it's separate and not joined to other stuff.

I know it's hard not to freak out (you know that we all know that feeling...), but you have the definite answer tomorrow... that's better than next week, no? (I'm trying to put some positive perspective... is it working? at all?)

MB

Yes a day is definitely better than a week and Yes I feel your positive vibes. it’s working. Thank you. I wish they would put a second explanation in layman’s terms if they are going to send it to us. 

I have a pretty good theory when it comes to results of any kind- if there’s a serious problem the medical professionals freak out on our behalf.  The red flag gets raised super fast. So if you didn’t get any red flag calls today I think you’re fine. Let us know how you make out and we’ll add some extra prayers tonight.  

Hey Michelle. I’m sure if the pics were bad he would have said something. Seeing this today made me go through some test results and I found a few interesting things I will also ask about tomorrow. And I found that PDL test which mentions Keytruda?  My head was definitely scrambled back then.  I don’t remember reading a lot of this but I know I did.  

No longer discrete along with the and large airspace comment could mean that the tumor is shrunk and there is more airspace than tumor at the area where radiated. Now we need the Imfinzi to play Pac-Man with the rest of it!!

The pet scan July 2nd will give a better picture than the X-ray. Grateful for good news 

Saw the pulmonologist yesterday and asked him to clarify the report. He showed me the pics. I asked what happened to my big blob because it’s not on the pics. Said it’s either gone or whatever is left is behind scar tissue. I have airspace disease probably from the radiation. It’s an actual thing-I Googled it. Just have to find an inhaler that’s not going to give me vertigo. Thank god he gave me samples, wasting money isn’t my thing. PET/CT scan will give a better picture but he said it’s a very good X-ray report. Glad that this seems to be worth the side effects. Staying positive.