Our journey with STAGE III-C non small cell (inoperable) LUNG cancer..

Brenda F

We have been thru our first CHEMOTHERAPY and getting ready for our second one and radiation therapy.My hubby has a tumor in upper right lung and several lymph nodes that are malignant in chest and up into neck. 

Hi Brenda. I’m stage 3a, finished radiation and chemo no on Imfinzi immunotherapy. It’s a long journey but results so far are promising. Do you have a plan for after chemo and radiation?

On 6/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, Barb1260 said:

Hi Brenda. I’m stage 3a, finished radiation and chemo no on Imfinzi immunotherapy. It’s a long journey but results so far are promising. Do you have a plan for after chemo and radiation?

No Barb1260 what do you mean? What should come next? I'm really kinda lost in this. Sometimes I just sit and cry, our lives have changed so much in the last few months.

Hi Brenda. There are so many new immunotherapy and targeted therapy drugs for advanced lung cancer. Ask your oncologist what is the plan after chemo and radiation. 

Hi Brenda:  Very sorry to hear about all that you and your husband are going through.  I am stage IV lung ca with brain metastases diagnosed April 2019; started immunotherapy (Keytruda) 3 weeks ago and have my next dose this Thursday.  So I am very new to this also.  A cancer diagnosis is very overwhelming and scary for patients and their caregivers alike but you and your husband can find comfort, support and a lot of information from the members of this group.  They are a godsend.  It is OK to cry; Lord knows I have had my days.  Take care now and hang in there.  My prayers are with you and yours.  Susan Rae

Hi Brenda I was diagnosed with stage 3A nsclc November 2016 and January 2017 I had a lobectomy followed by chemotherepy for 4 rounds because they found cancer in 7/20 lymphnodes so next scan was all clear but fast forward to end of 2017 I had 3 enlarged lymphnodes and was started on opdivo immunotherepy and the nodes shrunk to almost non visible and the treatment is a piece of cake compared to normal chemo because its once a fortnight for half hour and no nausea or hair loss so hang in there because there is always hope with new treatments happening all the time ..

Thank you all for your words on your journeys and please keep us in your prayers. I will keep you all in mine.

I don't know why my husband's cancer is inoperable. I know he has 5 lymph nodes that are malignant and a carcinoma in the upper st lung.

Hi brenda did your husband have a lung function test done ? Because I did and was told if I failed that I wouldnt be suitable for surgery but with my cancer being on the outside of my lung it was easy to get to and I had cancer in 7 out of 20 lymph nodes taken at the time of surgery and the reason chemo followed and now opdivo immunotherepy to keep the nodes under control ...which it is so I hope your husbands treatment works for him too ..

I was stage 1....but 3 months later, after surgery removing top third of right lung, I was stage 3...mass was larger and 4 lymph nodes had cancer.  After surgery, no evidence of disease, but with lymph nodes surgery was followed by chemo (carboplatin and alimpta).  PET scan showed no evidence of disease....but still had radiation (28 days). PET scan followed....no evidence of disease. I've had another PET scan in January and one in June....no evidence of disease.  Surgery at MD Anderson, Houston, chemo and radiation done locally.  Find the best medical advice, keep your primary physician involved (especially for pneumonia) and fight aggressively.

Hi Laurel it is a frustrating disease on all counts and when I was first diagnosed I was told I was curable just by surgery but when I had the biopsy done the dr had 2 goes at it and couldn't get it so another more senior dr did and I always feel that the plucking away at the nodule gave it a chance to leave cells behind and the time between biopsy and surgery (2 months for me ) so I had 7 lymph nodes with cancer in them and then I become stage 3 A and needed chemo to round up the cancer in the nodes which it did temporarily and then 3 lit up on a pet scan and I'm asked if I would like to extend my life and have immunotherepy...so I'm curable one minute to extend my life the next but I'm doing ok so far so I'm living in the moment ...

I am so sorry your surgery wasn't as clean and helpful as you would hope. I wonder why I had chemo and radiation and you only had chemo.  It doesn't sound like your options were outlined to you in the most positive way.  Sending soft hugs and prayers.

Hi Laurel,After diagnosis and biopsy were done I was offered radiotherepy OR surgery and I picked surgery because 4 yrs prior to this I had 5 weeks of radiotherepy and follow up scans 3 monthly and 6 monthly for a separate cancer so I felt I'd had enough radiation so went with surgery thinking I just wanted the cancer cut away and that followed with chemo because traces of cancer had already escaped into 7 nodes so surgery was a very painful experience but was told I was at a cure stage but they were wrong unfortunately..

I am sorry your surgery was so painful and didn't presents the results you deserved.  I hope you can try some followup therapies that might help.  Get your best care. Hugs

Archived