Wife

Lynette

Hi, my husband, Red, found out he had a softball size tumor in his brain that had come from his right lung, in early February. They removed tumor then and then started radiation in early May. Now he's doing Chemo & Immunotherapy, first 7 hour treatment was Thursday.  He is very sick  from it, nauseous, bones ache, and poopy problems. I am so freaked out, everything I read on the internet had terrible prognosis.  Anyone have help for his side effects?  Can we get this into remission? Thank you. I have never been in this world of Cancer. I am at a loss.  Lynette

Lynette

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband but glad you found this site. I have not had chemotherapy but rather surgery for my lung cancer, but many here have gone through various treatments so I'm sure you'll get some answers to your questions. 

I just wanted to respond and let you know that the group is here for you through this trying journey. 

Lou

Hi Lynette.  I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s struggles.  I have had surgery, not chemo.  I’m sure others will be along with some advice on how to manage the side affects.  The internet is a great source for terrible information sometimes.  A lot of it with regards to cancer prognosis is dated.  Outcomes are improving daily.  Remission is possible.  Hang in there.  

Lynette,

I've had two rounds of chemo so I unfortunately have experience with side effects. I've experienced nausea, bone pain, digestive issues, hair loss, neuropathy, etc. But my docs have been able to provide relief for some of the side effects. I also found this site very helpful; it's from the Cleveland Clinic and provides information on the drugs and potential side effects.

As for remission, that term isn't used much with lung cancer. Lung cancer is very persistent so we aim for 'no evidence of disease' or NED. It is possible to achieve NED. We have quite a few members here who have been NED for 10+ years. We just learn to treat this as a chronic disease. 

Let us know how we can be here for you.

Archived