CT scan results

CM_in_PNW

Would love to hear any thoughts about recent CT scan. I've been going through 3 years of unexplained symptoms and countless Dr visits, still no solid explanation of symptoms. 

In a nutshell: night sweats, fevers, migrating joint/bone pain, chest pain, throat "weirdness", nagging ache in femur/hip area, 1 gout flare-up with residual intermittent gout-like sensations.

Lots of tests, physical therapy, etc... no solid answers from either PCP, rheumatologist. 

Smoked cigarettes regularly for 5-6 years, but quit 20 years ago. Have smoked marijuana fairly consistently since.

Open to any suggestions on further course of action.

Thanks in advance, and kindest regards to all of you.

------------------------------------------------------

EXAM: CT CHEST WO CONTRAST

HISTORY:  seronegative ra, persistent chest pain, reduced exercise tolerance

COMPARISON: Chest radiograph 10/20/2018, 1/24/2017

TECHNIQUE: Helical scanning was obtained of the chest without intravenous contrast and reviewed in soft tissue and lung algorithm. Coronal and sagittal images were also generated.

FINDINGS:

Densely calcified right upper lobe pulmonary nodules are likely healed sequela of prior granulomatous disease (axial soft tissue 41, 75). Left lower lobe subpleural pulmonary nodule measures 3 x 3 x 6 mm (sagittal to 32, axial lung 177). Punctate left upper lobe perifissural pulmonary nodule (axial lung 36), likely intrapulmonary lymph node. Minimal biapical pleural-parenchymal scarring. No geographic groundglass or lobar consolidation. No subpleural reticulation or other evidence of pulmonary fibrosis. The central airways are clear. No pleural effusion or pneumothorax.

The visualized portion of the thyroid gland and lower neck are unremarkable. No thoracic adenopathy. The heart, mediastinum and great vessels are unremarkable. No pericardial effusion. The soft tissues are unremarkable.

There is no acute fracture, malalignment or focal osseous destruction.

The visualized unenhanced portions of the upper abdomen are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

No evidence of pulmonary fibrosis. No identifiable cause of the patient's symptoms.

3 x 3 x 6 mm left lower lobe pleural-based pulmonary nodule. If there is a history of smoking, consider noncontrast chest CT follow-up in 12 months.

CM,

I'm not a doctor and I've read your previous posts to understand your symptoms. But, I've had too many CT and PET scans and consequently I've picked up quite a bit of insight on radiologist reports. I don't see anything on your CT that is suggestive of lung cancer.

I note you were once a tobacco smoker and that you continue to smoke marijuana. I wouldn't know if there is a link between marijuana smoke and lung cancer, but all smoke is an irritant and minimizing lung irritants is a good way of minimizing risk for developing lung cancer.  If it were me, I'd stop all your smoking and avoid all second hand smoke. That and continued CT scans appears to be a prudent course of action.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your time and response.

With regards to smoking, I have come to the same conclusion. I haven't smoked in a couple months, and have no plans to resume. 

7 minutes ago, Tom Galli said:

CM,

I'm not a doctor and I've read your previous posts to understand your symptoms. But, I've had too many CT and PET scans and consequently I've picked up quite a bit of insight on radiologist reports. I don't see anything on your CT that is suggestive of lung cancer.

I note you were once a tobacco smoker and that you continue to smoke marijuana. I wouldn't know if there is a link between marijuana smoke and lung cancer, but all smoke is an irritant and minimizing lung irritants is a good way of minimizing risk for developing lung cancer.  If it were me, I'd stop all your smoking and avoid all second hand smoke. That and continued CT scans appears to be a prudent course of action.

Stay the course.

Tom

Archived