Introduction

M.A.

Hi my name is MaryAnn, my husband was diagnosed with Limited SCLC this past March and it has been a whirlwind ever since.

We were told that Small Cell is very aggressive and fast moving so we jumped in with Radiation and Chemo. There wasn’t time for a second opinion.

My husband, Jef (with 1 f) has been in the hospital after two sessions with very low white cell count and fevers. My husband wants to do two more treatments so next Tuesday will be his 5th.

The Dr. plans to reduce chemo by 15% this time so he doesn’t get sick. However, having two treatments to go and the tumor at 50% + reduction the numbers don’t add up to me.

Also, the Radiologist Oncologist is highly recommending that my husband have brain radiation after chemo is done.

I would like to get others opinions about this brain radiology. I have read some frightening things and have been told that it is very controversial.

Hi MaryAnn and welcome.   My lung cancer was stage 1 Non-small-cell. It was discovered during a routine CT scan ,a followup from a prior non-lung cancer that was stage 3. With that one I had chemo. I had two ER visits for low neutrophils (white blood cells) and fever. At the second one my neutrophil count was ZERO!.  Following each of my subsequent  chemo infusions, I was given Neupogen, a series of injections that keeps white blood cells up. I didn't have any more real crashes like that. Is your husband a candidate for Neupogen, or Neulasta, which is  a long-acting form that only needs one shot? 

I wish Jef and you all the best.

Bridget O

Hi MaryAnn,

Sorry to hear about Jef's problem, but glad you found our forum.  I was diagnosed with NSCLC and had a lobectomy so I cannot comment on the type of treatment that Jef is having, but I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that others here (like Bridget) can offer more info.

We are pulling for Jef (and you).

Lou

MaryAnn,

Welcome and sorry to meet you under these circumstances.

Unfortunately, you are correct that small cell lung cancer often metastasis quickly and the brain is a prime location.  Given this tendency, your husband's radiation oncologist is likely suggesting adjuvant whole brain radiation as a preventative treatment.  The nature of the small cell brain met is often many very small spots throughout the brain. They are often too small to target individually but once established, they grow very quickly.

If adjuvant whole brain radiation is the plan, it is often a reduced dose and treatment period. This compares to curative whole brain radiation that can cause cognitive side effects. I'd ask if his doctor is proposing adjuvant treatment, and if so get a clear understanding of the risks and benefits. If it were me, I'd take the adjuvant course because I'd want to avoid brain mets at all costs. I hope this helps.

Stay the course.

Tom

On 6/19/2019 at 9:33 PM, BridgetO said:

Hi MaryAnn and welcome.   My lung cancer was stage 1 Non-small-cell. It was discovered during a routine CT scan ,a followup from a prior non-lung cancer that was stage 3. With that one I had chemo. I had two ER visits for low neutrophils (white blood cells) and fever. At the second one my neutrophil count was ZERO!.  Following each of my subsequent  chemo infusions, I was given Neupogen, a series of injections that keeps white blood cells up. I didn't have any more real crashes like that. Is your husband a candidate for Neupogen, or Neulasta, which is  a long-acting form that only needs one shot? 

Bridget O

Bridget O

Bridget O

Hi BridgetO,

I’m sorry my response was so long in coming. I do appreciate your very quick welcome and appreciate it very much.

Seem like everything I do these days are in slow motion with lots of mind and soul searching. 

You see, I have been having a hard time reaching out to talk about my feelings. I’m not sure that’s normal. Believe me my friends and family are probably perplexed by now.

To be honest the only time I feel any emotion seems to be when we are talking to the Dr.’s. I guess the rest of the time I am pushing it down....till later.

Forgive me if this isn’t the right forum for these comments.

Jef has also been to the ER and admitted twice with very low white cell count. Each time the Dr. had them give him Neulasta on the last day of infusion. After the first time the Dr. reduced chemo by 10% and Jef handled it well. Chemo #4 was normal dose and he crashed again with fevers and low w cell count.

While in the hospital they give “Graxy” injections which eventually work and brings the count back up.

We see the Oncologist tomorrow and chemo is scheduled for Tuesday-Thursday. I believe the Dr. Plans to back off chemo by 15%! THIS WILL BE HIS 5th round of chemo with only one more to go. Backing off chemo is not shrinking the tumor as. Ugh, I wouldn’t think, and we don’t have much time left for chemo.

If the tumor has not shrunk completely I don’t know if they can do the brain radiation and I don’t know if that’s a good idea or not.

My husband also suffers from Chemo Brain and is struggling with short term memory and concentration issues. Chemo Brain I have read may go away and may not but brain radiation memory and concentration issues will not we were told.

We will find out more tomorrow.

Thank you, again for being there. You are in my thoughts and my prayers. 

M.A.

Bridget O

On 6/19/2019 at 9:04 PM, M.A. said:

Hi my name is MaryAnn, my husband was diagnosed with Limited SCLC this past March and it has been a whirlwind ever since.

We were told that Small Cell is very aggressive and fast moving so we jumped in with Radiation and Chemo. There wasn’t time for a second opinion.

My husband, Jef (with 1 f) has been in the hospital after two sessions with very low white cell count and fevers. My husband wants to do two more treatments so next Tuesday will be his 5th.

The Dr. plans to reduce chemo by 15% this time so he doesn’t get sick. However, having two treatments to go and the tumor at 50% + reduction the numbers don’t add up to me.

Also, the Radiologist Oncologist is highly recommending that my husband have brain radiation after chemo is done.

I would like to get others opinions about this brain radiology. I have read some frightening things and have been told that it is very controversial.

Hi Mary Ann, It sounds like Jef is having a hard time and you are, too. Canceer is awful and dealing with it is a real challenge, both physically and mentally. Let us know what questions you may have and how we can suppport you   I don't know much about brain radiation. Hang in there!

Archived