Type of IV used for chemo

Isabelle49

Isabelle,

I don't know that there is a standard established.  I believe and IV or port decision is made by the physician and patient. Some seem to tolerate IVs well and I was fine during my first line treatment. But during second and third line treatment, my veins disappeared.  I should have requested a port.  Indeed, my lesson learned is to get a port when starting because our disease often recurs. 

Stay the course.

Tom

I love my port! I see people trying to get vein IV during infusion and they end up really sore! I don't know that they have a standard really. My doc didn't even ask me...she just scheduled my port placement. LOL

Thanks. I agree on a port esp with the risk that chemo meds infiltrate the tissues, which can be very damaging. I have giant veins but don’t want to lose them to chemo.

Hi Isabelle

I had the same experience, my doc just ordered the port.  I had some unexpected complications so when my biomarker testing came back I had the port removed ASAP.  It was never accessible.  

For now I’m happy with the decision, knowing that I can always have another port installed if necessary.   My Mom had one for her endometrial cancer and kept it post treatment for her semi annual PET scans.  

Archived