Update and concern

Moonbeam

Hi All. It's been a while. Review my husband: left pneumonectomy. Stage 2b. 4 rounds chemo. Finished in April. First scan clear. Thank goodness but found an aneurysm on the aorta. Turned out to be on his intercostal. Had an endovascular procedure (May 3rd) and his vascular surgeon did endovascular coils instead of a stent. Much safer. About 3 weeks after that procedure, my husband complained of hip pain in both hips. Went to PT and pain gone in left hip but stayed in right. First week in June, it was constant - down thigh, base of spine, right testicle, behind right knee and in groin area. He has terrible trouble sleeping, hard time riding in the car. Finds relief laying on the floor. It's constant and can be aggressive and at times, unbearable. Can't imagine worse then having his left lung removed. ;( Finally after countless calls, he is scheduled for a CT angio chest with and without contrast for Tuesday. That test is for his check up for his endovascular procedure and they say it will show a broad area including down his spine????? I'm feeling like he needs an X-ray as well. Has anyone ever had this? Should I be worried it's something on his spine or a tumor that has cropped up anywhere? He's due for his 2nd scan for his 3 mos. checkup next month. However, I'm sure this CT angio of chest will show either clear or not? Any help or advice would be great. Miss everyone and going to try to catch up on everyone's post this weekend.

XXX

Hi Moonbeam,

from what was explained to me, xray --> CT --> PET in terms of detailed imaging.  So if I'm reading your post right, he's getting a chest CT done, no need for xray in the same area as CT will show a lot better than xray can.

Waiting is the hardest part... and I absolutely understand it's hard not to worry... but I read somewhere worrying is like walking around with an open umbrella waiting for the rain.  🤔

I hope your husband gets relief from the constant pain soon 🙏

MB

I used to have right testicular pain that I was told was referred pain which is pain caused by some other area but is connected to both areas. The testicular pain seemed to happen in connection with my lower right back. 

The pain going down his leg sounds exactly like my sciatica. I get pain in the buttocks and it travels down just as you described. I used to have intense chronic pain in both thighs and calves. This was about 3 or 4 years ago. I was put on oxycodone and the stress on myself and my wife almost cost us our 30 year marriage. If you are feeling irritable towards each other, don't wait until the point until we did. Get caretaker support and he support for coping with the pain.

Just wish I had a crystal ball to know what's going on. Trying not to let my mind wander. Would have had it last Thursday if our local hospital wasn't lazy and clueless. 😡

Irwin1 - he believes it is sciatica...I agree with pain caused by something else and is connected. Thank you for your words about irritability...I feel terrible for him. He has been through the wringer since being diagnosed Nov 14, 2018. It's has definitely been stressful at times, but I find being his advocate when dealing with things that aren't difficult extremely trying. I see my therapist as needed and he does as well. It's very important to find the support as you mention. This site is also extremely beneficial!!! 

MBinOregon - yes, he is getting CT. :) You are correct about the worry. It comes and goes but it is head on as we come up to scan. However, I know that worry will never change the outcome....whatever it is. ;) Just takes the wind out of my sail - ugh.

Hi Moonbeam-

Welcome back, sorry about the dark cloud over your head. I try and remember that with cancer we’re more closely and carefully monitored which leads to doctors and nurses paying careful attention to symptoms impacting our quality of life. Ultimately I think we get better care. 

We’ll all be in this waiting game with you! 

Michelle

Moonbeam,

Your husband has been through a lot and so have you. Pain is a nightmare; unexplained pain adds torment to nightmare. Hopefully, the CT will yield insight into what is going on. Your post reminded me of my wife's caregiving experience. I'd listen in to her phone conversations as she described my maladies, and how she was helpless to resolve them.  Yet, she persisted and our nightmare resolved to an occasional bad dream. 

Encourage pain relief and if not relief then reduction first.  If the floor gives him comfort, then so be it. Be ready for a quick nap if his pain subsides enough to allow sleep. You will need it. Have you tried Lidocaine patches to address the sciatica? Do you have someone who can look in to help so you can take a break? I hope Tuesday comes in a hurry.

Stay the course.

Tom  

Thank you, Tom! I do hear a lot of similarities with your wife and I. It can be trying at times, but I learned very quickly, the importance of being on top of his care and reading all and taking notes. He has used those patches before and I took them out this am for him! Can’t believe we forgot to use them for this! :(

I am trying to take care of me more - it’s not my personality to, but there are times I’ve realized thru all of this, I’m no good to anyone with out rest. 

Hope you are well. Thank you for responding. 

Xx

Archived