Emla Cream - is it worth it?

Isabelle49

Starting chemo on July 9 and have a med port that will be accessed. I am a weenie when it comes to pain, yes I’ve been an RN for 33 years that that did nothing for my fear of pain. I have in my time as an RN accessed a number of med ports and can tell you that the force required is very firm and I know it caused pain even though the patients tried to convince me otherwise.

Has anyone here used Emla or other numbing cream over the port prior to having it accessed? Was it helpful at reducing pain? Let me know, pleeeeease.

Hi Isabelle-

Did you get a prescription cream of Lidocaine (2.5%) /Prilocaine (2.5%) to apply & cover with Saran Wrap 10 min before the infusion?  That’s what I received, however my port came out before it was ever accessed (long story). 

My mother had a port for her endometrial cancer chemo three years ago, she elected to keep it in after completing treatment as she can’t stand the pain of needle sticks. I know she has the prescription cream & if she had pain, believe me, everybody would hear about it! 

Anyway, I would call ahead to find out which infusion nurses are going to be working that day       where you can ask for very experienced nurse.  It’s like making a reservation.  My cancer center is very accommodating to special requests (like I give them a choice??? 🥴)

For anyone getting the numbing cream for the first time: if clear tegaderm sheets are not included with the cream, can use, Saran Wrap and secure edges with a little tape. I read where another RN came up with a “genius” idea: use a medicine bottle cap over the cream and secure with tape - the flat part of the cap should not sit on the cream, the open are should - I think I will do this since it seems easier and is re-usable and I don’t really have any other use for Saran Wrap. Blessings.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, Isabelle49 said:

For anyone getting the numbing cream for the first time: if clear tegaderm sheets are not included with the cream, can use, Saran Wrap and secure edges with a little tape. I read where another RN came up with a “genius” idea: use a medicine bottle cap over the cream and secure with tape - the flat part of the cap should not sit on the cream, the open are should - I think I will do this since it seems easier and is re-usable and I don’t really have any other use for Saran Wrap. Blessings.

I used Saran Wrap and worked great. I couldn’t use the clear bandaid things it tore my skin. 

Archived