Husband's CT Chest Angio Results and so nervous!

Moonbeam

ugh...after my husband's (dec 10,2018) pneumonectomy and 4 chemo treatments ( stage 2b NSCLC poorly-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma) he had an all clear about 3 months ago. Nothing showing "cancer" related in findings. NED. Hooray. Unfortunately or fortunately, he Had another one yesterday for a procedure he had done 2 months ago. (pseudoaneurysm on intercostal) All looks good in regards to that procedure. Anyhow, because it's chest, we see everything. Under findings: i read this:

There is a 2.9 x 2.5 x 2.8 cm enlarged lymph node in the left para-aortic region of the mediastinum. And there is an enlarged 3.7 X 1.9 X 3.3 cm subcarinal lymph node present 😩 To say we are worried and afraid and sad is an understatement! He hasn't been sick. His procedure he had was through the groin and they did coil embolization. Not related.

His pulmonologist is ordering a PET scan and I guess we will have it done here, as the cancer center he got his surgery and treatment at won't order it because they didn't see him in regards to this. Meaning the CT scan was ordered by his vascular surgeon at a different hospital. And we met with his pulmonologist here and he is recommendeding it. 

I am so afraid. I know this isn't good news. I can't see any other reason why they are enlarged. They also have nothing to do with his sciatica! I simply am at a loss. he is my world,  along with my kids. I'm trying not to think the worst but good god, I know what this means. 

diagnosis on son's birthday. surgery on daughters. treatment started on his. and this shi_, close to mine. 🤦‍♀️ July 

I'm sooooo sad!!! ;(

Hi Moonbeam-

Wow you’ve suddenly got a lot going on all at one time. Now you’re caught in between hospital systems which is sooo frustrating!  

I’m still in this newbie club, enlarged lymph nodes could be anything or nothing (like fatty tissue).  One step at a time, we can pray that it’s not a recurrence!  Hang in there my friend try & do something fun to celebrate your birthday. Don’t let this uncertainty take over (if you can...)

Hugs

Michelle

Michelle - thank you. My bday is in a few weeks. The big 5-0 ;) However or unfortunately, my gut tells me it’s not good. They’re pretty enlarged and his original tumor was in the main bronchus. All I know, is I’m praying for lots . He had to stop the platinum based chemo (cisplatin) after second round bc he had tinnitus. I’m pretty positive and will figure out all ways to beat this for him even if some miraculous miracle says “psyche”. I hate that I’m being cynical - I just prefer facts and what’s ahead and let’s beat this. 

Your words are comforting - comforting bc you get it and understand! Sending you lots of love!

Moonbeam,

I had a mainstem bronchus tumor also and got tinnitus from Taxol and Carboplatin. I decided to continue chemo regardless of tinnitus. Without it, hearing would not have mattered. I say throw everything at the beast. 

No recurrence is easy. He’ll need to put back on his battle rattle and fight again. He’ll need you by his side, and you’ve got to believe this fight can be a win. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Tom - thank you for responding. I just said this to my husband! We would rather you deaf! His surgeon just emailed me, who performed the pneumonectomy, is concerned as well (because next to trachea - the enlarged lymph nodes) and said besides PET have them (his pulmonologist) do an EBUS. ( bronchoscopy) I’m so trying to be strong. I truly am. I simply cannot lose him. Have had too many losses in my life. No one like him. Are you concerned? I thought I knew a lot about lung cancer and knew of recurrences, but where does this put him? It’s two lymph nodes not in some other area...I’m sooo baffled and sad. Tomorrow is a new day and I’ll get stronger but need facts. 

Moonbeam,

Actually a proximate lymph-node recurrence is a common site for a main stem bronchus primary. I recall my oncologist expressed surprise when my first recurrence was in my remaining lung. The trachea complicates things but I’d ask about precision radiation to see if those two nodes can be fried. 

Radiation oncologists are getting very aggressive. They’ve got tools and techniques that do amazing things. I’d schedule a session with a radiation oncologist and see if precision radiation is possible. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

Why does it complicate things? When he first was diagnosed, the radiologist said until something there, no reason to radiate. I believe there is a concern of damaging the right lung (the healthy lung). ? Tom, I’m so afraid...is there not a procedure to just take those lymph nodes out ? ;) hate to wink but I’m grasping at all avenues right now. If positive and restaging, where does this put him? Stage 4?

Moonbeam,

At this juncture, stage doesn’t matter. It is useful for helping formulate the first treatment. After a recurrence, it is all about  controlling and eliminating. 

It is tough but so is your husband. 

Stay the course. 

Tom

On 7/4/2019 at 8:03 AM, Moonbeam said:

Why does it complicate things? When he first was diagnosed, the radiologist said until something there, no reason to radiate. I believe there is a concern of damaging the right lung (the healthy lung). ? Tom, I’m so afraid...is there not a procedure to just take those lymph nodes out ? ;) hate to wink but I’m grasping at all avenues right now. If positive and restaging, where does this put him? Stage 4?

Stage really does not matter now. All that matter is ,if God forbids this thing is back, the most aggresive and effective treatment. Has any functional profiling been done before? Any known mutation that he has? I am so sorry bu life is not fair. 

When I see people of my age busy with their lives without any such stress or sadness, I envy them. Our world has turned upside down and we don even know what we did to deserve his. Anyways stay strong .  Please know that you are in my prayers

Archived