Vegetables from the Sea

Hebbie

For anyone here who is interested in Diet/Nutrition, keep reading!! :wink:

I had the pleasure recently of attending a cooking seminar taught by Jill Gussman, a gourmet chef and cooking instructor. The extent of my knowledge in so-called "seaweed" was pretty much limited to sushi. This class was so informative and the foods she made tasted AMAZING! I also discovered that "sea vegetables" have 10-20 times the minerals of "land vegetables". (If I am getting it right, I believe that one serving of Hiijiki has the calcium equivalent of 10 glasses of milk!) These veggies are full of antioxidents and some are "cleansing foods" that help clear the body of toxins. Sea Veggies have "Sodium Algenate" -- it binds w/ heavy metals in your body and helps flush your body of metals. Sea veggies are also very powerful anti-inflamatories and help cleans the blood and lymphatic system....The whole thing was pretty fascinating!

Her cookbook is entitled "Vegetables from the Sea" and I can't wait to get it.....here is a review of the book that I just found on line:

"This beautiful book is filled with delicious and creative recipes as well as vital information about sea vegetables. The author is a Chef Instructor at Natural Gourmet Cookery School in New York and a graduate and former cooking instructor at the Kushi Institute. She has extensive experience catering in gourmet and healing cuisines. On top of that she's warm, thoughtful, and fun. We felt honored when she chose to spend a week with Rising Tide Sea Vegetables to learn about harvesting seaweed."

As you can tell, I really enjoyed the class! During a websearch, I also stumbled upon a good website that explains the nutrients and health benefits of sea vegetables. Here is the link:

http://www.byregion.net/articles-healer ... reens.html

Heather

Heather,

I just bought some Wakame to add to Miso. I haven't tried it yet, but am experimenting. Jack was all entusiastic about the macrobiotic diet, but politely passes on the meals I cook. Instead, he opts for Oscar Myer. I thought he would eventually cave, but I can't even get him to even switch from whole milk to 2% milk! How is your family about it?

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Hmm....how is my family w/ the macro diet? Well, trying to gete a 7 year old to eat Miso soup is quite a feat.....and I have nicknamed my husband "White Bread Brad"......so as you can imagine, it's been quite a challenge! :roll:

I have managed to switch them both from regular pasta to Whole Wheat Pasta (their favorite is pasta sauteed w/ olive oil, broccoli and garlic, topped w/ some fresh grated parm cheese -- they love that one, and it's HEALTHY!)

I've also managed to get them both switched to natural peanut butter instead of that artificial Jif stuff (w/ the hydrogenated oils...)

Geez -- Jack is still on whole milk? Do people still drink that?? :wink: I've got Brad down to 1% (from 2%) and I actually have my son drinking chocolate soy milk or chocolate low fat organic milk. He begs me for the chocolate soy all day long, but all the sugar in there drives me crazy.....

My biggest accomplishment so far is getting them switched to brown rice from white. I can actually get my son to eat a bowl of brown rice w/ steamed broccoli --and he loves it! He thinks brown rice "taste better". I tend to agree! Basically, it's been a s-l-o-w process, but I'm getting there. I take it one meal at a time -- and read LOTS of cookbooks for meal ideas!

Heather

Heather,

That is so funny, "White Bread Brad." Your right about the one meal at a time thing. I do the cooking, so if he doesn't eat it....well I guess he'll starve. He drinks atleast a half of a gallon or more of whole milk per day!-Something about "being deprived" as a kid? I started soy, it's not bad! The only thing I miss are soft drinks! The book I just bought suggests making your own with equal parts fruit juice and soda water. Not too bad! I stayed away from fruit juice because of the sugar, but this book recommends some. Pineapple contains bromelain which fights tumor mets! Anyway, pass on any good recipes that you come across!

Cheryl