Starting chemo tomorrow

Isabelle49

Yep, starting tomorrow at 930 am. Feeling a little anxious, queasy, not much appetite. That’s pretty much how it goes for me when I am stressed or anxious. If nothing else, it will be a learning experience for this old retired RN. Blessings.

Isabelle- 

You are a tough cookie, the nurses are going to LOVE you, think about all the new friends you are going to make!  You might be great for the hospital patient advisory board too! 

Good luck today!

Michelle

Today was happily uneventful, except for receiving chemo for the first time. Loads of IV hydration before and after chemo, steroids and anti=nausea meds between first hydration and chemo. There is actually nothing I can comment on that I experienced while the actual chemo as infusing. Felt no different than other fluids, which is a good thing.  Toward the very end of therapy I did feel like i was bloated, as if I had eaten two very large thanksgiving dinners, or being pregnant and not being pregnant. Shortly after that I had diarrhea, per nurse may have been related to magnesium in hydration fluids or even the anti nausea meds. Had it twice more at home and that’s it. Each time I eat or drink anything I feel very limited as to how much I can take in before feeling stuffed, so will adjust amount and time to every 2 - 3 hours. The staff at the chemo clinic were really really great. As an old retired RN, I would grade their performance and interaction with patients and families at gold standard level and I am not at all generous with that. Tomorrow is day 2, much shorter than 7.5 hours, more like 3.5 hours. Hoping for a day as good as today. Blessings to all.

That’s the way to do this Isabelle, one day at a time.  You might want to wake up earlier than usual to get fluids/food prior to the infusion. I read about a gal who got up at 4am to have plenty on board before the infusion started at 10am.  She napped in the chemo chair.  

Onward...

Isabelle,

Glad to hear your first infusion was uneventful! Hoping the rest are just as uneventful!

So happy to hear your first chemo treatment went so well for you, Isabelle!  I hope that continues for you. I have yet to start mine and i thank all of you for sharing your experiences.  I will soon be adding my own.  :)

Take care and God Bless...

Day 2 of Chemo was really bad. Headache, light sensitivity, nausea, unable to eat anything.  Phenergan started and works like a charm. Breathing was much more labored and difficult. I know something was wrong when going to the car with my husband, I could hardly breathe. Couldn’t sleep hardly at alll.  Saw doc before 3rd day of chemo, X-ray and blood work done. Those were normal. But, the real problem was fluid overload. Yesterday I weighted 9 lbs more than I did on Tuesday, first day of chemo. I have started lasix to get rid of fluid and have found a marked difference in how I feel with my weight about 4 lbs down since the lasix. At least day 3 is over and I have 21 days before the next round. Grateful for feeling pretty good today. Blessings.

Hi Isabelle-

You are a trooper, that was not a picnic for sure. Glad it’s behind you.  One of the other fluid retention management tricks is watermelon.  It’s loaded with potassium and helps slough off some of the fluid when taken with the Lasix.  

During my sleepless nights I swiffered the floors for me there was something rhythmic to this that helped get me back to sleep. Another thing I tried was the app Insight Timer.  It’s free, prevents the mind from spinning. 

Hope you feel better in the interim! 

Michelle

• 1 month later...

I can understand what are you feeling. My brother has gone through this process and seriously, it was really difficult process because in this we usually patient loose it's hairs and this incident sometime break him/her from inside. 

Archived