How to starve cancer

Claudia

Hi Everyone!

I came across a book called How To Starve Cancer by Jane Mcellend and it is very interesting. The author had stage IV lung cancer and through conventional and unconventional therapies has gone into remission. I haven't finished it but so far it seems to rely on a low carb, no sugar mediterranean diet and supplements to help chemo and other cancer treatments to be more effective. Things like taking low dose Asprin and Tagamet. I hesitate to jump into things that are just out there on the internet. I was wondering if anyone has read it or followed the diet and supplement plan. Yes, I will ask my dr but I'm interested in what you knowledgable people have to say about it. 

Have a beautiful day,

Claudia

Claudia, 

I’ve not read the book you mention but many like it. I’m very pleased to learn you are consulting with your physician before you try any of the “curative” diet suggestions. 

During treatment, my problem was consuming calories because chemo really affected my tastebuds. I also wonder at the top level how it is possible to starve cancer without starving the body. 

I am unusually sensitive about people who publish the “I have a cure” book because a close friend believed, denied conventional treatment, and died well before his time.

Stay the course.

Tom 

1 hour ago, Tom Galli said:

Claudia, 

I’ve not read the book you mention but many like it. I’m very pleased to learn you are consulting with your physician before you try any of the “curative” diet suggestions. 

During treatment, my problem was consuming calories because chemo really affected my tastebuds. I also wonder at the top level how it is possible to starve cancer without starving the body. 

I am unusually sensitive about people who publish the “I have a cure” book because a close friend believed, denied conventional treatment, and died well before his time.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Thank you for your response Tom. I, too, am skeptical of all "miracle cures". I just thought I would ask here to see if anyone had anything to say. I always appreciate your posts.

Claudia

Hi Claudia, 

I'm not familiar with the book either, however I recently read something similar,  Greg Anderson's 50 Essential Things to do to Fight Cancer.  Greg was a Stage IV NSCLC survivor (from 1984!).  When I was diagnosed, like many of us, I wanted some clarity as to what I should be eating. The hospital dietitian was seriously retired on the job.  Not helpful. It's ironic that I was on a Keto Type Low Carb, Mediterranean diet at the time I was diagnosed (for the rowing). Oh well.   The how to starve cancer  Keto approach is gaining mainstream popularity, it's actually written up in this month's AARP flyer.  

I've now seen five Integrative Medicine doctors, in the quest to find a new hippie doctor I'm comfortable with.  They all seem to fall into the same recommendation for diet, one doctor put into these terms- "think of your feet". When making good dietary choices, "no feet is better than two feet is better than four feet".  That seems easier for me to follow for now, however I keep Tom's story in the back of my mind.  If there comes a time to fight for those calories to survive, I love chocolate chip mint ice cream.   All of the Integrative Medicine Doctors seem to think there's a "missing piece" to cancer treatment that can be addressed through exercise, diet, targeted supplements, and some  overlooked oldie but goodie meds with synergistic abilities.     

The 2019 ASCO Abstracts are starting to address medication combinations to starve the cancer cells:  http://abstracts.asco.org/239/AbstView_239_265327.html  It's called the MAD Protocol.    

I think you're asking the right questions Claudia!  In time, the researchers are going to nail the right cocktail.  Let us know what your doc has to say about this, my onc is baffled by the complementary approach, I leave him in charge of the science, medicine, and lab values.  The nurses have outed him though, he's really curious about this stuff, just can't articulate it in the academic setting.   Thanks for sharing!!!

Michelle 

Thank you for your response Michelle. I have already cut sugar out of my diet. I just feel as if it can only help my general health and maybe help keeping the LC under control. My problem is that I am a carb freak. I love bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. I'm doing my best but that is the hardest part for me. I will be asking my oncologist about this plan but I love that you also have your "hippie" doctor. I may look into that. It's called Integrative Medicine? Not sure how the other doctor would feel about it. I do love him and we have gotten good results so far. I'm still only 6 months into this and never sure what to do. I appreciate all the help I've gotten here. You guys rock. 

Claudia

Claudia

I was told eat what you like and as much as you like with exercise. I have done this over the last eighteen months of my treatment  and maintained ten pounds over my normal weight on purpose, My treatment is now coming to close in three weeks and going to drop back to my normal weight for the present time.

Bob

LOL Bob,  I weighed myself yesterday, holding steady at 15lbs over normal.  As long as my boat doesn't sink, I don't care anymore. 

Claudia, 

Integrative Medicine is a board certification, designed to optimize a traditional medical plan.  It's also referred to as functional medicine.  Here's a link from Andrew Weill MD that might help to get you started, this is where my IM oncologist did his fellowship training: 

https://integrativemedicine.arizona.edu/alumni.html

As for the medical oncologist, well for me, that was a challenge.  Needless to say the  first two appointments with my onc didn't go well, stating he wouldn't support a complementary approach in the clinical setting.  I got really mad, according to my hubby, I poked the doctor and gave a stern warning "it's not your decision, from now on, you will be informed, but you do not get to vote on this".   ( I don't remember this- but hubby said he said I turned into a dragon lady).  On the third visit my doctor reversed course and changed his tune.   I created a system to keep everybody happy, the Integrative Medicine Doctor makes recommendations, my pharmacist works with Memorial Sloan Kettering to research the recommendation, if the pharmacist gives the green light, my medical oncologist is fine with what we are doing.  The medical oncologist has the final yay or nay.  I don't do anything that makes him nervous.  So far, he's hasn't vetoed anything and the pharmacist is doing a great job as referee.  

You'll find a good balance, if you love the carbs, why stress yourself out over missing them and look for low glycemic load foods such as organic whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes?? 

Carry on!

Michelle 

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my oncologist at my last visit if he thinks No sugar is best for not feeding cancer and he said cancer will use whatever is available and because of pet scans injecting glucose with a tracer and shows where cancer cells are having a feeding frenzy is where a lot of people get the sugar idea ....but Tom I was wondering because your wife is a nutritionist  is that right ? Did she put you on a certain type of healthy eating plan of some sort ?

Mally,

Yes, my wife has bachelors and masters degrees in dietetics but fortunately, I was always a small, lean guy and had no problem eating whatever I pleased until I started chemo.

My first series of infusions was adjuvant therapy in combination with conventional radiation. I received Taxol and Carboplatin once a week for six weeks. I had few side effects during this course of treatment except the drugs really affected my appetite.  So I was losing weight and didn't feel like eating.  Since I was having daily radiation that kills a lot of cells in addition to tumor cells, my lack of appetite was of real concern to both my oncologist and wife.  Martha found some journal articles that suggested a mint flavor would stimulate appetite in some being treated with Taxol and Carboplatin and she purchased some chocolate mint chip ice cream. Surprisingly, that tasted really good and I when through a whole half gallon in a day.  Martha then started making ice cream with mint flavoring. Her aim was to ensure I had the maximum calories possible each day. The best recipe was chocolate mint ice cream with crushed Oreo mint cookies. She was churning about 1/2 a gallon every day and I was eating so my calorie problem was solved.

I started treatment at about 138 pounds and lost 15 during the first week.  The ice cream allowed me to gain back the 15 pounds and maintain my weight through treatment.  That was a good thing because my oncologist was going to stop my chemo if I didn't recover my weight.

So my "health" eating plan was one 1/2 gallon of chocolate mint ice cream with crushed Oreo mint cookies each day and cranberry juice.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thanks Tom I guess I could say there would be worse things to eat than that icecream and it did what was intended and helped your weight ...I'm a bit the opposite and have too much of an appetite eating my emotions but since July last year I've given up meat dairy eggs and I eat a plant based diet with lots of veg and fruits legumes grains to help my immune system with the opdivo but now I'm having radiotherepy on my 3 lymph nodes makes me wonder if food choice has any impact on cancer ..

Hi Mally

I’m wondering the same thing.  I just bought the How to Starve Cancer book as well.  

I had to give up meat and dairy on my targeted therapy, since then some of the side effects have really diminished. Inflammation is the enemy in my opinion!!

My new Integrative Medicine doctor says the cancer diet should run along this line:  “no feet is better than two feet is better than four feet”. 

I’m super curious about the potential combination therapies using older drugs long forgotten due to patent expiration.  

Claudia any news on your end?  I just might buy a copy of the book for the onc just to get his reaction.  

Archived