RE:dreading upcoming tests

Hey all, Posted a few days ago about dreading dad's upcoming tests...well, other than blood work labs, they did nothing ? :? Now is that normal? I must have misunderstood because I thought Dr. said no more chemo and CT every 3 weeks...But today he said x-ray in 3 weeks and CT in 3 months...? Did I miss something? Either this Doc is incompetent or he knows my dad is going to be around for a while..? I like to think the latter, but I am still nervous as heck. Last CT in December showed great improvement, almost no cancer in the lungs and the two tumors in liver very very small....Then today Doc said blood work came back great, what do I do..? Take a breath and relax, or continue worrying about who knows what next..?

Forever Dad's advocate,

Katie:

Every 3 months, starting 2-3 weeks before my oncology appointment, I get like the father at a wedding. Every little ache or pain is amplified by a factor of 10, and as the appointment day draws closer the factor goes up. I am always so scared that the onc will find something.

The usual result, just like your dad, nothing. My wife then gets on my case about being so nervous prior to the appointment. If the doc says nothing is there, nothing is there. Take your family out and celebrate. There is no better thing to celebrate than life. :):):)

Hey Katie,

Well, I can say this for you, Your dad must be very proud to have you as a daughter. One that cares SOOO Very much and wants nothing but the best for him. Bless your Huge Heart! And then again, wouldn't we all do the same for our parents?? :)

As for his blood work, they can tell SOOOOO much from that blood work. I'm sure that his liver count came back normal, and if so HOORAY!!! GOOD DEAL!!! PARTY!!!! HAPPY DAYS!!! At least that's what it sounds like to me! So, YES, sit back and ENJOY!!! It's good news!!

On the CT scans. If your dad had a CT scan in December then it would be normal to have a chest X-ray three months after that, then repeat a CT scan three months after the X-ray! That all sounds normal to me! If that's what I understand the doctor to be saying?! They did a CT scan on me three months into my Chemo and Radiation treatments. Then three months after that they did a Chest X-ray. This went on for 3 years after my treatments completed. (Exp. CT scan, three months later, Chest X-ray, three months later CT Scan, three months later Chest X-ray, repeat.) The other side of this is, being a lung cancer patient we don't want to have TOOOOO many CT scan's or Chest X-rays either!!! :shock:

But, from what I understand your dad's doctor to be saying, it all sounds normal to me! Take a DEEP BREATH Katie, all sounds good!!! I agree with Dave to go celebrate the good news!! And as for worring about what next, NO BODY know's whats next, so you can't worry about what you don't know?! RIGHT?! ONE DAY AT A TIME MY DEAR!!! SLOW DOWN and enjoy the ride!! :):):) Your a wonderful daughter, no doubt in my mind!

Congratulate your dad on the good news for me!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

P.S. Katie,

I forgot to mention when a person goes for a (check up) it usually consist of, blood work (or lab work) CT scan or Chest X-ray and that's it my dear. That's all they ever do unless other things pop up. That is the NORM!!! I would be very concerned if they didn't do blood work, but they did and that's great! My Onc skipped my blood work one time and my Pulm. Doc had a fit about it. It has never happen sense!! :)

Best to you all,

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

As always, you guys make me feel so much better! I can't believe we started all this only three months ago because when I'm here, I feel like I'm home. Sometimes there are somethings we can't get into with our friends and family. I absolutely do not express my worries or fears to my dad, just my love, support and advocacy...so it is wonderful to come here and let it all out--everything off my chest, (worry, fears, paranoia LOL) and twenty minutes later, you guys have made everything alright again. HUGE hugs Connie and Dave and thanks again everyone

Hey Katie,

Boy what I wouldn't have done to have a board like this when I started my journey 7+ years ago with my lung cancer, I'm,! I know I told you about my friend, who is a 3 year SCLC survivor and she too had mets to the liver. She is fine and free and clear and see's her doc every 4 months now. She just came back from her winter get away. Chemo's do soooo well on SCLC!! You vent anytime you need to my friend! Glad we could help!!

Hugs,