Going for First Post-Op Scan Today

LouT

My Update:   Well, this morning I'll be going for my first CT Scan since my surgery back on May 2nd.  Unfortunately, I don't get to see the doctor until next Thursday so there will be a bit of anxiety between now and then.  I'll make sure that my next scan will be closer to the appointment for sure.  Other than this I've been doing well.  My workout schedule is back to where it was.  I do my 5 miles and weights 6 days/week and am handling it pretty well.  I'm not back to my full weights yet, but about 80% there.  I rarely do get winded, although it's happened after some more strenuous workout activities and I seem fine going up and down stairs.  My only complaint is some areas on my ribcage that are still uncomfortable, but i haven't needed to take anything for pain in the last month and a half.  All in all the recovery has been much better than I feared it would be.

For those of you planning surgery my advice is simple.  Read the forums here, many folks recount their surgical journey and give practical advice for how to maximize recovery and minimize discomfort (both in and out of the hospital).  Stay in the moment whenever possible, I took this advice from my Longevity Family and it saved me from hours of catastrophic thinking and worry.  Yes this is a scary disease and the diagnosis and treatment processes are equally scary, but many folks have proceeded you in this and can share their stories of survival that will inspire you.  Take time to enjoy those you love and the life you have, since nobody has a guarantee of a tomorrow this is the time to savor the gift of time we have been given.  Keep moving and keep breathing, the more you can do for yourself the quicker your recovery will progress.  Do whatever you can, but keep trying and you'll be surprised what you can accomplish.

Well...once I get results I'll post them here.  I'm thrilled to see the results of others and the good outcomes many have experienced.

Stay tuned,

Lou

Hey Lou-

Scan down- for me the scan part is piece of cake, it’s like Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part.  I’ve developed my own piece of mind in waiting for results, since I’m at a major academic center, the residents will have the 1st read within an hour.  If there’s any problem, the phone will ring in a day or two.  I give the schedulers Starbucks gift cards to score better appointment slots too! 

My prayers are always with you, will ramp them up! 

Michelle

PS I got a call from my Dad on Friday- he gave my cancer a theme song- Twisted Sister- We’re NOT going to take it”   Hilarious from a 78 year old hipster so it’s on loan to you this week! 

Michelle,

Thanks so much.  I love your Dad's idea on a theme song...  I'm going to just try and focus on "NOW" and take it easy, although your idea of the gift cards is a great one.  Thanks for the prayers as well, I believe they matter.

Stay tuned,

Lou

Hey Lou.  I’m glad to hear you are doing well.  I guess scans are something we have to get use to.  I was pleasantly surprised when I went  for mine that they read it and had my doctor consultation during the same visit.  That was an XRay, I don’t get a CT scan until September.  I’m hoping it’s the same process.  I also have some discomfort (numbness) on my side.  I’m told it goes away.  Given the whole experience I don’t give it any thought.  Really great advice you’ve given other.  

Thanks Curt.  We'll have to track each other's progress since we had our surgery pretty close together.  Are you still walking and doing the coaching (yes, I think you can include that in your exercise)?  I really like getting the test on the same day as the office visit.  I'll try to get my next one closer.  I know they'll post it to My Atrium (our healthcare site) account before my office visit, but I won't read it.  Last time I did that I thought I was dying and the doctor had a good laugh and explained what all the "findings" were...this time I'll wait to hear directly from the horse's mouth.

Stay well buddy,

Lou

Archived