CT results

Isabelle49

CT done Friday, results online today. Shows a reduction in width of mass from 8.3 cm to 5. Keeping my excitement contained until I see the doc tomorrow, since I’m not sure what the expectation were. Happy it is smaller though. Blessings to all.

Sounds pretty impressive to me given the three week mark.  I’ve recently read that if there is a strong response in the first six weeks there is a strong correlation for good prognosis.  Curious as to the timing of your next Scan.  I know you’re very prepared for this visit. Lock & load! 

Ok saw the doc. Said reduction is in size is good, but not enough to start radiation, so will have a round of chemo this week which was planned anyway and a second round in 3 weeks then repeat CT. I have low WBC count that has dropped since last labs done 3 weeks ago. Doc has ordered Neulasta via the auto injector adhered to skin. I understand severe bone and join pain is a common side effect and that loratidine (Claritin) may be effective in reducing this side effect.

Anyone with more information re the bone and joint pain, solutions to reduce this please chime in. Thanks so much.

Blessings to all.

Isabelle,

Unfortunately, you are right about the bone pain side effect from Neulasta. I can't recall how many injections I had but all of them caused be pretty bad pain in my long bones (arm and leg). I understand the auto injector is supposed to reduce this side effect by injecting a small amount over time and if so, this may be helpful. I was told that no medication save narcotics would minimize my bone pain but thankfully, the pain only lasted about 24 hours after each injection. 

I also came down with several illnesses during my low count periods during chemo. I tried to isolate myself during chemo but one needed to go to the clinic and that's where I likely picked up the bugs. These turned into serious chest congestion illnesses that were difficult to shake.  Try and avoid mixing with people during your treatment to reduce the probability of exposure during your low count periods.

Stay the course.

Tom 

Neulasta copay with Medicare and United medicare advantage plan: $1663.88.  And you might need it more than once!!! Not real happy about this. One thing I was adamant about is that this cancer will not wreck finances, I won’t die leaving my husband penniless!!!

Isabelle,

I can only bet that your husband would rather need to pinch some pennies than lose you.  Meanwhile, please see if there are any financial assistance plans available from the company.  Check out the URL below, it seems their estimates are less than you've been told and they may have some assistance packages to offer.

https://www.neulasta.com/support/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Branded - 2017 Decision | Desktop Syndication&utm_term=neulasta financial assistance&utm_content=Resources_Exact&gclid=CNq64bTnj-QCFYstgQodwLUO_A&gclsrc=ds

Lou

Drug companies and others cannot offer assistance to patients that have Medicare. This is part of the anti-kickback laws. I have an article on it but can’t link (not a techie)

Isabelle49 -

My wife who had uterine cancer 2 years ago needed the Neulasta due to her WBC dropping so low, specifically the neutrophil count being too low. While it did help with the WBC, the bone pain afterwards was bad. I then read where the over the counter loratidine (Claritin) would help so we gave it a try. My wife swears that this definitely helped her get through the second and third Neulasta "auto injections". I don't mean to scare you and I am sure that everyone has different experiences, but my wife says that she would not have submitted to the third Neulasta if the second one had been as painful as the first. (My wifes severe bone pain lasted for 1 to 2 days where she could hardly move.) By all means, try the Claritin (with your ONCs permission of course). It is not the Claritin-D, just the regular over the counter Claritin. If I remember right, it is recommended that you start with it several days in advance of the Neulasta. There are several articles out on the internet regarding this.  

-Ron

Hi Isabelle,

I had Neupogen instead of Neulasta. They're the same drug, but Neulasta is in a long acting form. I've read that the two drugs are pretty similar in effectiveness and in side effects. I  had NO bone pain at all and no other side effects. Maybe you won't either. The disadvantage  of Neupogen is that I had to give myself a shot every day. The needle is tiny and the shots go into the abdominal skin/fat. It was no problem to do them. Neupogen may be cheaper than Neulasta, especially if your doctor determines that you only need a few days of shots.-- I think I had about 4. You might check with your doc to see i you can use Neupogen, if you can give yourself the shots. It's not hard-- similar to what some diabetics do several times a day.

Day 1, 3rd cycle of chemo went well. No nausea, no vomiting and no diahrrea this time. Weight was up 8 pounds after chemo so took lasix when I got home, it’s working well. Doc changed the Neulasta from the auto injector that is stuck to the arm to my gettting the injection at the chemo center on Friday after noon. My doc’s nurse arranged that, saying the auto injector is way more expensive. I called insurance company and co pay for regular injection is $8 less than the auto injector. I’m settling with the regular injection, as I’ve read that the auto injector can leak or fail and I don’t want to delay the timing of the med. Reading where Tylenol and plain Claritin helps to alleviate the bone pain, so I plan on starting the Claritin tomorrow and take daily then take with Tylenol on Friday a few hours before the Neulasta. Planning on a decrease in pain. I’ve also read if you try to keep busy, moving around, pain is less also. I found this to be true when I had shingles, woke up every morning as if a hot kicked my butt and made a direct hit on the sciatic nerve. Ibuprofen and moving around really brought the pain down. I will stay locked and loaded and will stay the course. Got a big wedding on November 9, cant miss it for anything - my granddaughter getting married, she is a Nurse and preceptor at Ochsner and will also finish her BSN in December. Very smart, level headed and focused girl. Blessings to all.

Hi Isabelle-

There ya go!  You might want to consider acupuncture for the bone pain. Shortly after I was diagnosed, one of my right ribs cracked from a coughing spell. The Integrative doc recommended acupuncture. I was desperate for a good nights sleep so I gave it a shot. No one was more surprised then my onc when the pain went away.  I still can’t explain it. That sucker took a long time to heal.  Acupuncture isn’t cheap however it’s pretty easy to get a discount.  Tell ‘em you have lung cancer and a wedding to get to. Be on the look out for the deer in headlights stare, then whammo! Go in for the discount.  Ask for 40% off and a promise to tell your doctor about it to promote referrals to their practice.   Onward.  

Archived