Esophagitis

Jane CM

I am wondering if anyone has dealt with esophagitis as a side effect of radiation? It’s been three months post radiation and I continue to have difficulties eating solid foods. I am on a soft foods diet and drink a lot of protein shakes. I’ve also lost several pounds. Can anyone relate to this and what tips are you willing to share?

Thank you! 

- Jane CM

Good morning Jane, I experienced terrible esophagitis and the scar tissue caused swallowing problems. I ended up being referred to a digestive heath doctor and she did a procedure to stretch my esophagus. This was done two different times before it worked. 

Its been almost a year and I still have problems sometimes. I hope you figure out something soon. 

Thanks for reply, Paula. It sounds like a rough road with your esophagitis. I’m sorry to hear and hope it continues to get better for you. 

Jane JCM..  Sorry to hear about this problem.  I had radiation next to my esophagus for 30 days and I ate a spoon full of Manuka Honey on the way to treatment and another later in the day. I did not get esophagitis or have any problem with my throat. If you can't get Manuka honey any honey should help. Do a search for more info. on this.  I hope it helps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I will start radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks soon. I am trying to get battle ready. I see where honey has helped Tomm. Anyone else have any tried and true weapons for esophagitis or mucositis?

1 hour ago, Lisa66 said:

I will start radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks soon. I am trying to get battle ready. I see where honey has helped Tomm. Anyone else have any tried and true weapons for esophagitis or mucositis?

Hi Lisa,

If I knew before Tom’s post...I would have tried this. There is a pricey honey from New Zealand called Manuka and I would try it. You can order from Amazon. Even now it still helps.

I’m happy to report that after 6 months my esophagitis has passed. Though my radionc said 8-10 weeks after treatment it would be gone, this was simply not the case. I mainly ate smoothies, chicken broth, puréed soups but in the last week really went for all that great food I was missing!

Just in time because today begins my triple cocktail of alimta, carboplatin and Keytruda. Very shortly after surgery (which radiation made possible) I unfortunately had a recurrence or perhaps there were still microscopic cells hiding. So I’m now stage IV and ready to win this new battle before me. For many others and depending on your stage, radiation does the trick!

Best wishes to you - and not everyone gets full blown esophagitis!

Jane

• 7 months later...

I responded to this subject in another thread but I also suffered from radiation-induced esophagitis for about 6 months. I became extremely deconditioned and also lost weight. I found that methadone really helped with the pain. I also went for hydration 3x per week at my chemo center. 

If the esophagitis becomes too severe, consider a feeding tube. It's better than becoming seriously ill (like I was). 

My esophagitis finally cleared up in June and I am off painkillers and can eat normally now. 

I felt like I was on my own with esophagitis. My radiation oncologist couldn't help and I had a hard time getting a pain management doctor until I landed in the hospital for emergency surgery (probably due to complications from chemo or steroids). 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Since this thread was pulled forward I thought I would add to what Judy posted.

My wifes esophagus was so bad that the only thing helping was oxycodone. At one point a surgeon put a camera down her throat to check for a constriction. I was sure she was going to have to have a balloon placed in her throat to expand a constriction. The surgeon saw an angry red path through her esophagus with no constriction. It took a couple of months after radiation stopped before coming off of pain pills. Her esophagus is doing well now with no lingering effects.

Steve

Archived