Troy2

Accidentally discovered 17 x 10 nodule

I had a calcium test done to check on potential buildup in my arteries with a CT test. Good news is that my arteries proved to be perfectly clear. Bad news is that they noticed a 17 x 10 nodule in a lung. I had a PET performed a few days later but won't have the results until next week. This seems to be a fairly large one from what I have read. Anyone else have a similar experience? 

I haven't spoken to my general doc yet, only his nurse. The doc's online system shows it marked as malignant. I am hoping that they just treat it that way until they know otherwise.

Given the size, is it likely that they will just remove it? 

Troy,

I'm assuming your nodule size is in millimeters.  If so, the nodule size would translate to about 3/4" by 1/2". The PET scan result should provide the important information -- is the nodule malignant. Here is some information about a PET scan that may help you understand the results when your receive them.  The results should tell is two things: is the reported nodule malignant and is it the only one.

A single malignant nodule, depending on its location, can be addressed with surgery. Here is some information about lung cancer surgery that might be helpful. So I hope you get a favorable PET report.  More questions? This is the place.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Troy.  Tom has provided good answered to your specific questions.  I’ll just add that the majority of nodules are benign so let’s hope your is.  If it does prove to be malignant there are lots of treatment options, including surgery.  Stay away from Dr. Google.  Much of that info is outdated and misleading.  There are treatment options.  If you are looking for answers read through the posts on this site and ask your questions here.   

The nurse just called and said that it came back all clear! They want me to have a PET in a year. I have not seen the detailed results yet.

Does that sound about right? Would I be better off asking for one in six months? Or am I safe waiting for the year before getting another PET in your opinions?

Troy,

Diagnostic timing is variable.  If one has metastatic disease and is under treatment, a common interval is a scan midway through treatment, then if no evidence of disease, a rescan after 6 months. 

When small suspicious nodules are discovered, a common interval is a rescan after six months. Most often performed is a CT scan, not a PET. I don't have any concrete data to back up this timing, just recollection of reading a lot of posts on this forum. So, I think a 6 month re-scan is prudent.

How fast do tumors grow? Here is an interesting article by an oncologist that gives some insight.

Stay the course.

Tom